Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprice Vault achives files, but does not create placeholders

konrad
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi

In my Enterprise Vault test environmant (the only one I have) the "File System Archiving Task" correctly archives related files (PDF and DOC files), but does not create placeholders. There are no entries in the File Server's Event Log. The EV report file looks like this:

Time    File    Size (bytes)    Policy name    Rule name    Rule type    Status
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2008-08-04 15:28:24    \\win2003-1.test.domain.com\Share\file1.pdf    3559631    Default FSA Volume Policy    <rule_name>    ARCHIVE    ArchivedAwaitingBackup
2008-08-04 15:28:25    \\win2003-1.test.
domain.com\Share\file2.pdf    4486633    Default FSA Volume Policy    <rule_name>    ARCHIVE    ArchivedAwaitingBackup
2008-08-04 15:28:25    \\win2003-1.test.
domain.com\Share\file3.pdf    11051981    Default FSA Volume Policy    <rule_name>    ARCHIVE    ArchivedAwaitingBackup

(...)

Total volumes processed:     1
Total folders processed:     5

Total number of files matching an archive rule:              33
Total number of files matching an archive and copy rule:      0
Total number of files matching a do not archive rule:         0
Total number of files matching a delete rule:                 0

Total files that matched a rule and were processed successfully:     33 (91,21 MB)
Total files archived:                                                33 (91,21 MB)
Total files excluded by a do not archive rule:                        0 (0,00 MB)

Total errors reported: 0

Here is my configuration:

-The Enterprise Vault File Placeholder Service is installed and run on file server (run as Vault Service Account)

- The Vault Service Account has a full access to a share.

- EV Server is added to a File Server's local intranet site list (http://evserver1.domain.com)

- File Server/EV Server OS: Windows Server 2003 Std at VMWare ESX Server

- There is also NetBacup 6.5 installed on File Server (for testing purposes)

- Domain Controller is a Windows Server 2008 Std server in Win2k8 native mode (at ESX Server)

It is my first EV installation so it is possible I have made some mistake. Please help me diagnose a problem.

Thanks for any advise!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi

You have to Backup your Vault Store Partition (or remove the archive bit on all files)

Or change the "Safety-Copy" Setting on the Vault Store Partition to "Immediately" (instead of "After-Backup" ).

Cheers

Michel

Message Edited by MichelZ on 08-04-2008 04:50 PM

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

SHI-CRO
Level 6

Not sure if it is the cause of the issue, but I'm pretty sure W2k8 domains aren't supported with any current release.  Running EV on any W2k8 server isn't supported aside from the FSA agents.

If you are using safety copies on your Vault Store, no shortcuts will be created until the vault store partition is backed up.  If you aren't using safety copies, you will still need to do a 2nd run to create the placeholders.

MichelZ
Level 6

Hi

You have to Backup your Vault Store Partition (or remove the archive bit on all files)

Or change the "Safety-Copy" Setting on the Vault Store Partition to "Immediately" (instead of "After-Backup" ).

Cheers

Michel

Message Edited by MichelZ on 08-04-2008 04:50 PM

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

konrad
Level 4
Partner Accredited

You're right, thats it. The placeholders are not created when Vault Store Partition has not been backed up. After I backed up the partition, the log file looks better:

Time    File    Size (bytes)    Policy name    Rule name    Rule type    Status
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2008-08-05 09:42:34    \\win2003-1.domain.com\Share\filename.pdf    3559631    Default FSA Volume Policy    <rule_name>    ARCHIVE    MadePlaceholder

The other solution is to change the option you have mentioned ("Remove safety copies: immediately after archive") on a Vault Store (I did not test it yet).

Thanks!

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Unless this is just testing I would recommend leaving the safety copy strategy until after backup.  Placeholders will be made after you back up the partition AND on the next run of the FSA task. 

It is a safer strategy then immediately.  :)

Cheers,