cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Messages While opening the email

San_Bangalore
Level 5

I am working with one of the users who is getting the following error message while opening an emal through vault explorer and vault cache.

We have EV 9 server and user has outlook 2007 with EV plugin version being 10. We have tried the below troubleshooting steps

1. Vault cache reset
  2. Reset client (reregistering regsvr32 DesktopClientCache.dll).
  3. We have zapped the archive

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ben_Heymink
Level 4
Employee

Well basically the registry key exists to provide a way for administrators to restrict the use of PST files, since many consider them to be cumbersome and a pain to manage. By not allowing users to add items to a PST (literally - to not allow the PST file to grow), you can hopefully move them away from PST usage altogether.

The Enterprise Vault client actually uses PST files behind the scenes, so is dependent on them being able to grow and shrink as we add and remove items from them.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

San_Bangalore
Level 5

I have attached the error message.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Ben_Heymink
Level 4
Employee

LCT is correct. I reccomend you follow the supported Symantec repsonse here

San_Bangalore
Level 5

I went through the suggestions provided by LCT. As per the suggestion reg settings need to be changed on the client.

Could someone tell me what does PstDisableGrow mean? When I saw the article in the Microsoft about it says

"You can configure the PstDisableGrow registry entry to prevent Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 from creating new items in a .pst file. To do this, follow these steps"

I did not underatnd this.

Ben_Heymink
Level 4
Employee

Well basically the registry key exists to provide a way for administrators to restrict the use of PST files, since many consider them to be cumbersome and a pain to manage. By not allowing users to add items to a PST (literally - to not allow the PST file to grow), you can hopefully move them away from PST usage altogether.

The Enterprise Vault client actually uses PST files behind the scenes, so is dependent on them being able to grow and shrink as we add and remove items from them.

Hope this helps!

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
It should also be noted that recent versions of the EV Outlook Addin will now warn you at startup that PSTDisableGrow is set, without the PSTDisableGrowAllowAuthenticodeOverrides in place. Group Policy (for example) only sets the PSTDisableGrow key, which then breaks EV in many situations.
Working for cloudficient.com