cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSA error - Specified cast is not valid.

Aron_J
Level 3
Hay all,

Anyone ever seen this error in an FSA report:

*** Error *** - Error making file: \\?\UNC\company.co.uk\Viddata\live\docs\Client\084358\Jobs\000307\debts\00129033.doc.Email from Emma Till.msg a placeholder file. Specified cast is not valid.

This error started occurring after I restored some items using the following command:

The files have restore to the full original items but wont re-archive and produce the above error in the report.

Any ideas guys.

Aron
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Aron_J
Level 3
This was caused by differences in the code used in EV8 SP2 \ SP3. Installing the latest FSA agents solved this issue.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
you're gonna have to dtrace it unfortunately, i couldn't find much on that error (read: couldn't find anything)
dtrace the process that throws it, so if its a regular FSA run then dtrace EVFSAArchivingTask, if its a run now on the fsa, do a dtrace against FSARunNow
this will give you more insight in to it, feel free to attach the dtrace here if you want as well

so you need to do the following

1. RDP to your EV FSA server
2. Open a command prompt and cd \program files\enterprise vault
3. Type "Dtrace" and press Enter
4. Type "set FSARunNow v" and press Enter
5. Type "log C:\FSAError.txt" and press Enter, minimize the command prompt
6. Do a run now against that FSA target producing the errors
7. Keep an eye on the \Enterprise Vault\Reports directory and wait until it logs the "specified cast is not valid" error (don't wait for the run to finish if you dont have to)
8. Go back to the command prompt
9. Type "Exit" and press Enter
10. Zip the log file and attach it here
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Aron_J
Level 3
Hi JesusWept,

Thanks for coming back to me. i couldn't find anything on the error either. I'll setup a trigger on the task and see what I get. As all 8 of the files which produce this error are in the same folder I should be able to capture some useful data on this.

One thing to note regarding this error is I was trying to fix the issue found in tech note:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/314411.htm

The client has a load of .msg files which were archive prior to them upgrading to EV 2007 SP6. They are now on EV8 where this bug has been fixed so I was attempting to unarchive the .msg files in one of the 170000 folders on this share. I was then going to let them rearchive to see whether the new placeholders would work or would still be corrupt. If they worked, I intended to use the FSAUtility to bring back all .msg files on the volume back to the file system and let them rearchive.

Does anyone know if the new placeholder would be restorable if I were to get  these items to archive again sucessfully?

Aron_J
Level 3
This was caused by differences in the code used in EV8 SP2 \ SP3. Installing the latest FSA agents solved this issue.