cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I rebuild ALL indexes at once.

bob_cratchet_2
Level 4
Enterprise Vault V6.0 SP2

I need to rebuild all my indexes (500+ users) Is there an easy way of doing this without using IndexVolumeReplay?.. I know it may take a while, etc...

Thanks..
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
No, I just like the sound of it. ;)

Yes, if the index is not present and the system needs to update it, ie add an item to it because of an archive run, it will rebuild it. Like I said before, it is less than ideal and I would not recommend doing 500 at once.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Alan_M
Level 6
A restore of a recent backup of SQL and your index volumes will expedite the situation.

bob_cratchet_2
Level 4
Thanks Nue.

I should have said though, that I am doing this to change the Index level from Brief to Full.. So need to rebuild all the current Indexes. I have had a look, and have come up with the following..

Reset all the failed states, to 1 in the IndexVolume Table. (Via SQL Query Analyser) This then lets you search for all failed indexes in IndexVolumeReplay, and rebuild each one .. One at a time... :( Not ideal, but the only way I can find to do it.......

Alan_M
Level 6
There should be no need to do this. Simply resetting the indexing level will cause an automatic rebuild of the indexes.

> Thanks Nue.
>
> I should have said though, that I am doing this to
> change the Index level from Brief to Full.. So need
> to rebuild all the current Indexes. I have had a
> look, and have come up with the following..
>
> Reset all the failed states, to 1 in the IndexVolume
> Table. (Via SQL Query Analyser) This then lets you
> search for all failed indexes in IndexVolumeReplay,
> and rebuild each one .. One at a time... :(
> Not ideal, but the only way I can find to do
> it.......

bob_cratchet_2
Level 4
The Website has a Document ( http://support.veritas.com/docs/273234 ) and this is from that doc.

To change the indexing level for a mailbox that is already enabled, you will need to first select the new level from the archive's advanced property page. Next, you must rebuild the whole index. Please see the related document for how to rebuild an index.

So I am thinking, that even if you change the Site level Indexing, all new Indexes will inherit that setting, but Current indexes will not.. (New items added into old indexes will be at the new level? )

Can anyone verify my thinking...

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Bob,
I'm with you on this one. I've never seen the indexes rebuild or degrade if you set the level differently (from full to brief, or viceversa). The same seems to go for retention categories, which is why Sym. recommends doing a restore before you re-retention.

micah

Lee_Allison
Level 6
No simply resetting the index won't tick off a rebuild. However, from that point forward all items will be indexed with the new level, maybe that's what Nue was thinking?

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Yeah,
EV is one of the few products I know of that if you don't set it up the right way the first time, ya sorta boned. here's for hopin' stuff like this gets better in 7.

micah

TonySterling
You could just simple delete all the indexes or rename there folder location and create a new folder with the same name and then initate an archive run now for 1 item on all mailboxes. This will cause all the indexes to be rebuilt. Not sure if you would want to do all 500 at once, but that would do it.

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Would that really recreate them all?

micah

TonySterling
No, I just like the sound of it. ;)

Yes, if the index is not present and the system needs to update it, ie add an item to it because of an archive run, it will rebuild it. Like I said before, it is less than ideal and I would not recommend doing 500 at once.

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Heh,
It's smarter then I thought. Does the pop an event saying it had to rebuild the index?

micah

bob_cratchet_2
Level 4
Thank you all for your input.. I have now tested this on my Lab kit, and here is the method I have working.

1. Stop Indexing Service.
2. Rename Indexing location
3. Create new directory with the same name as the old one.
4. Restart Indexing Service
5. open Outlook on the EV Server, send a test mail to all users.
6. Do an Archive Now run on all mailboxes.

This forces ALL the indexes to rebuild automatically....

Many Thanks..

Shane_Seagreen_
Level 4
Im actually doing the same exercise, one thing to be aware of (which I found out the hard way), changing the indexing requirement at site level is not enough, you have to change it on your mailbox policy too, else new archives will pick up what ever is set up on the policy. Sounds silly, but I made the change at site level added 300 users, then discovered they will all still on medium instead of full :( unimpressed.

Thanks for the instructions for rebuilding the indexes, Ill be doing it this weekend :)

TonySterling
You for sure want to change it for the mailbox policy and synchronize the mailboxes. It would also be good to spot check the properties of the archive to make sure it is set to what you want.

No since going through this exercise more than necessary! :)