cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to speed up PST migration?

doctortt
Level 6

Why does EV take a longgg time to migrate one PST that's around 300MB, which is not that big? This goes for all PSTs that I have in the network. is there a way to speed things up?

7 REPLIES 7

Maverik
Level 6

Enterprise Vault itself rarely will be the cause of this type of performance issue. Many factors such as network speed/activity, SQL specification/utilization, Enterprise Vault Server specification/Utilization at the time of migration all play a major part. You would need to identify where the bottleneck is using Microsoft Performance Monitor, Enterprise Vault Dtrace, network utilization tools, SQL profile trace and Performance Monitoring. Once you then find the bottleneck you can then address it.

If you need assistance with this or do not believe this to be anything but an EV issue I would recommend you log a support case so support can review the process and do some comparisons.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Well, define "long time"?

EV (if it's idle) is able to get about 1.5 - 2 GB per hour on "average" hardware.

What figures do you get?

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

doctortt
Level 6

a 600MB PST took 3 hrs

1 150MB PST took 1 1/2 hr

MichelZ
Level 6

OK, then you should do what genie suggested.

Monitor some performance data like CPU Load, Disk Queue Length...

Is there any special data in the PST Files?

Like many items which may cannot be indexed?

Cheers

Michel

doctortt
Level 6

Thanks. I will check those.

The PSTs just have typical email messages with and without attachments. That's pretty much it .

MichelZ
Level 6

Oh, and check the Eventlogs, maybe there's something useful listed there.

ChrisWenzel
Level 4

We have see two things that impact the amount of time required to import a PST (And I have experienced similar performance).

1)    The number of items in the PST.  An import is requires the EV server to open the PST, examine the folder hierarchy, and import items on a per folder basis.  If there are a large number of items or folders this can extend the amount of time required.

2)   Occasionally we have received PSTs that have some level of corruption but are still accessible.  Usually this is a few messages, but it has extended the import time as well.