Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing during migration to new EV server

mmmore
Level 4
Partner
Dear all,

We are working for a customer who wants to replace their EV server with a new server. In order to do this we plan to do the following:
  1. Install a new Windows server, install EV on it, and add it to the organisation/directory
  2. Move the Index locations and Vault Stores (including partitions) to the new server according to the procedures described in kb article 288432 and 282880
  3. Configure the appropriate tasks and other matters on the new EV server.
  4. Remove the old server from the organisation/directory.
  5. Shut down the old server completely.
My question is if we can expect problems with regard to licensing, as we will have two EV servers for a (very) short period. Will all functionality be working on both server when we have the two servers? I could not find any information about the amount of servers that are allowed for particular license. I am worried that some or all functionality on the new server will not function completely. Does anybody how this works?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Richard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Richard

Present day EV licenses is not based on servers but on number of users so there should be no issue with  licenses

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Richard

Present day EV licenses is not based on servers but on number of users so there should be no issue with  licenses

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Just a thought.......

Why add the other server to EV and go through all that process when you can just do a Data Only DR process to move EV completely in one step from one server to the other???

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Richard,

Simply keep a copy of your slf, once you reinstalled give it that slf and jobs a good one.....

If you don't give it the slf during installation, simply copy the slf to \Program Files\Enterprise Vault\ and restart the admin service, once the Admin does the license checks on start-up it will move the slf to \Program Files\Enterprise Vault\Installed Licenses\ but you cannot place the slf directly there. The Admin Service needs to do that.

--wayne

jajensen
Level 4
Partner
Scanner has a very good point.  It would be much easier to bring down the old server, attach the storage from old server to new with the same paths, name the new server the same as the old, point aliases to the new server, and then basically do a DR operation to have EV configuration automatically configure the new server to be just like the old one.  If you have to retire the old storage where the vault stores and indexes reside, then I suppose it's a bit of a wash either way.

The Admin Guide's section on recovery covers the restore procedures in very good detail, should you be curious about going that route.

mmmore
Level 4
Partner
Thanks for the suggestions regarding the DR operations. I will investigate it. However, the old server is currently configured in a way so that all vault stores, indexes and so fort are on a single volume. We were planning to separate those things on the new server on different volumes. I guess that the DR procedure will not be possible in that case.

Thanks again for the answers you gave me!

Kind regards,

Richard