cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost SQL Server Databases

Hicham_JAOUHARI
Level 3
Dear All,

We lost our SQL Server Databases, and we would like to know what's the procedure to recover our EVSERVER services? (they didn't start)

we have an old backup of the databases, that we cannot use at the moment.

Regards,
Hicham
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Without SQL server database backups you are pretty much dead in the water. About the only thing I can recommend is calling Consulting to see if there is anything they can do for you! :(

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

TonySterling
You need to restore the most recent copy you can. If you restore an older copy of the database the data that has been archived since then may very well be lost if an index goes into replay, as there will be no reference of it in the database. It will stay in the index unless it rebuilds.

Make sure to put all the services in Read Only mode until everything is sorted out.

Tremaine
Level 6
Employee Certified
When you say you cannot use your backup does this mean that you have no SQL backup to revert to at all, or can you at least recover from a recent DB backup?

Hicham_JAOUHARI
Level 3
Yes, at the moment we cannot use our media restore.

Are there any alternatives solution? can i reinstall the sql and create the databases (redo the configuration of the site, or something else).

Regards,

TonySterling
Without SQL server database backups you are pretty much dead in the water. About the only thing I can recommend is calling Consulting to see if there is anything they can do for you! :(

Hicham_JAOUHARI
Level 3
when i follow the training, and when i read the docs what i understand is:
the databases are used for the configuration of the vault site

i supposed if i reinstall SQL Server and redo the config of the vault site, it will be ok !?

i have the all archive data, the indexes, ... of my exchange servers

are there any disaster procedure to recreate the databases from scratch?

Regards,

TonySterling
The EnterpriseVaultDirectory database does contain configuration data, HOWEVER, the Vaultstore databases contain a record of every saveset. So while you now have the archive data and the indexes, new databases will have no information tying them together. The operation guide for EV 5 and the Administrators guide for EV 6 have sections for Disaster Recovery, but you NEED those databases!!

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Yeah,
Just to jump on the bandwagon here...you really really really need those DB's. I think the question we really should be asking of you is whyfer you can't use the backups that you took on the tape?

micah

Aaron_Mears
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
Any chance you have a SQL maintenance plan running...and maybe look at a recovery from that? Or recovering files using a disk utility? We are assuming that you have data that you want to get back, not just start over.

A

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Dude, this is simple maths. How much is that data worth to you and your company? If the answer is "a lot" get onto Symantec help desk and get your cheque book out.... they *might* be able to rescue you.

:(

Tremaine
Level 6
Employee Certified
Hi Hicham

If you really cannot get your databases back (even an old'ish one) then, yes! You really need to contact professional services so that they can perform a rescue of your data.

However the best that can be done in this instance currently will be to effectively extract all the information from the saveset's that you still have and then import them into a single archive. If you only require the data for compliance reasons then that will help you. However if you need to get it back for individual users archives you will be in for a very manual and tedious excercise of searching and indentifying what data belongs to who.

Alternatively you would have to request a utility to get you out of this predicament.

Cheers

Hicham_JAOUHARI
Level 3
Hi,

Ouf, we found a backup of the databases in the hard drive of an other server.

Now the situation is ok.

Thank's for your help.

Regards,