cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate EV services/index to new server cluster

TimHudson
Level 3

I'm trying to boost our archiving infrastructure by migrating from mixed virtual servers (journaling, FSA, mailbox archiving) to a physical cluster.  My vault stores are on a NAS and my databases are on a separate sql cluster, so I don't need to worry about moving those.  However, my indexes are located on the virtual servers.  My plan is to build an active-passive cluster to which I'll move the indexes.  This will be used for mailbox archiving and journal archiving.  Then I'll have a virtual server that does just fileserver archiving.  I'm hoping that I can let the virtual server use the index from the cluster rather than having it's own disk -- this is so that i don't have to have a large disk on the vm, and also so that i don't have to try splitting the existing index.  So my question is whether this will even benefit me to have my FSA separated out from the mailbox archiving if it's using the index resources of the cluster.  Or at that point, am i even offloading any processing by having FSA tasks on the virtual server? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JosephRodgers
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Tim,

You may want to consider waiting for EV 10 before making this move.  The new indexing engine is designed for dsitrbuted indexing. In the meanwhile you might see an small increase in work when indexing of FSA or searching the content.  Not much benefit in leaving FSA on VM until EV 10 unless FSA indexing is set to brief.

-Joe

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

JosephRodgers
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Tim,

You may want to consider waiting for EV 10 before making this move.  The new indexing engine is designed for dsitrbuted indexing. In the meanwhile you might see an small increase in work when indexing of FSA or searching the content.  Not much benefit in leaving FSA on VM until EV 10 unless FSA indexing is set to brief.

-Joe