Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migratin one Vault to another - best practice recommendations needed

biosphere
Level 4
Partner
Hi,

We're in the process of merging Exchange environments between a subsidiary and the parent corp. The subsidiary has been running Enterprise Vault since the KVS days, and have thus built up quite a voluminous Vault. The parent corp has just recently implemented EV 7.5, and started archiving.

There's two parts to this process:

1. Migrate all Exchange mailboxes to new user accounts in the parent corp domain.
2. Migrate vaulted items from subsidiary Vault to parent corp Vault.

Part 2 is where I need some recommendations.

The way I see it, there's basically two ways of approaching this challenge:

1. Revert all vaulted items back into subsidiary Exchange environment, migrate Exchange data from old mailbox to new mailbox, archive "new" migrated users to parent corp Vault

2. Export all user archives from subsidiary Vault to PST files, put files in holding area, use PST Migration task at parent corp Vault to archive items.

From what I can see, alt. 1 is pretty much not an option due to time consumption. I experimented with a couple of user archives at the subsidiary, and judging by the data transfer rate shown here, the revert process would take somewhere in the area of one year.

Alt. 2 seems relatively straightforward, except for the part of matching the exported Vault PSTs to the new user accounts/mailboxes (remember that we're doing a cross-domain Exchange migration, so the exported PSTs will be correlated to the old mailboxes and not the new ones in the parent corp domain). I think this option is the best, but not if we have to manually match all PSTs to mailboxes.

Any help appreciated.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Biosphere

Yes, this is probably the way to go.
Although I recommend doing it with the PST Migration Wizard, and not the Migration Task.
Unfortunately, you will still end up doing manual matching, but it's definitely the easiest and fastest solution using only EV's own methods.

If you're interested in a customized solution, we got a tool called "Archive Shuttle" which may assists you in this operation.

For more information please contact:
thomas.madsen (at) vcare-it.com
or
peter.kozak (at) vcare-it.com

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Biosphere

Yes, this is probably the way to go.
Although I recommend doing it with the PST Migration Wizard, and not the Migration Task.
Unfortunately, you will still end up doing manual matching, but it's definitely the easiest and fastest solution using only EV's own methods.

If you're interested in a customized solution, we got a tool called "Archive Shuttle" which may assists you in this operation.

For more information please contact:
thomas.madsen (at) vcare-it.com
or
peter.kozak (at) vcare-it.com

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.