cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving mailbox from one OU to another

Gogeta
Level 4
We are using EV 7.  Each OU has its own retention catergory, provisioning group, and Exchange policy.  We are moving the mailboxes from OU 1 to OU 2 and then remove OU 1.  My question is, what is going to happen to all those items archived under the OU 1 retention category?  Will they retained the period set for OU 1, or will they get the retention period from OU 2?  Since we are removing OU 1, it makes sense to also remove the corresponding retention catergory, provisioning group, and Exchange policy.  Will there be any effect on the items archived using them?  Do we have to keep the retention category and etc, so the items archived items will remember the OU 1 retention period.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hay Gogeta,

Yea, I misunderstood you. Yes you are correct, if you delete the retention category it will get an "uncategorized" retention category.  What I would do if I was you is simply rename the retention category and give it the new retention period.

If this is still not a workable solution, I am playing with Archive Shuttle http://www.vcare-it.com/, which will re-stamp a new retention category on the items.  I should have a review of it soon on evdiscuss.net, I am just madly busy on a massive design.

All in all you have loads of ways to resolve this issue.  If I was you I would not delete the retention category, I would simply rename it to something more suitable.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Hi Gogeta,

If you move a user from OU1 to OU2 then the archive will remain in the OU1 Vault Store, Enterprise Vault does not move them.  When new mail is archived (user moved to OU2) it will still get archived to OU1 Vault Store.

So yes, you will need to keep your Vault Stores and Retention Categories.

--wayne

Gogeta
Level 4
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the response.  Seeing your response, I think I might have mis-phrased my question.  We are not moving the actual mailboxes, just the user accounts in AD.  So there is no Vault store changes.  Since retention categories, etc are based on OU, moving user from one OU to another will have effect on the user (email items).  The items archived after moving to OU2 will use OU2 retention period, but how about items archived before moving.  Will they keep OU1 retention period (say, 7 years), or get OU2 retention period (say, 5 years)?

If I understand you correctly, the items archived before the move will keeping OU1 retention period (7 years), and we have to keep the retention category for OU1.  Is it correct?  What happen if we delete the retention category for OU1 after the move?  Will the items be kept forever because EV does not know when to delete them since the retention category for OU1 does exist anymore?

Thanks.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Hay Gogeta,

Yea, I misunderstood you. Yes you are correct, if you delete the retention category it will get an "uncategorized" retention category.  What I would do if I was you is simply rename the retention category and give it the new retention period.

If this is still not a workable solution, I am playing with Archive Shuttle http://www.vcare-it.com/, which will re-stamp a new retention category on the items.  I should have a review of it soon on evdiscuss.net, I am just madly busy on a massive design.

All in all you have loads of ways to resolve this issue.  If I was you I would not delete the retention category, I would simply rename it to something more suitable.

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
 I don't actually think you can delete a retention category if you have items archived under it and the items are in the archives.

Also you could upgrade to EV8 - it has the ability to update the items retention category - only caveat is that the shortcut must still exist in the mailbox.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
John,

There is away around the first issue, but as i said you would therefor get "uncategorized"

As for the second comment, that's could lead to a little misleading.  Updateble mettadata / Moved Shortcuts well does update the retention category if the item is moved, but 90% of people delete shortcuts so there is no way of "changing" the retention category relay.  Even if they did not delete shortcuts from the mailbox how would you change the retention category? The only way I know would be for shortcuts that moved?

--me