cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving vaulted email to Archive mailbox folder (Outlook)

ferniem
Level 2

When will I be able to move vaulted email to a new archive folder in Outlook without having the need to unarchive the email?   This process can be time consuming specially when you've users with a large amount of email archived.  Let me know if I need to clarify what I'm asking here. 

Issue:

Here is the issue with doing the above, email that is already archived cannot be move to another archive folder because it will not pick up the new archive policy, and it will brake the archive email if you try to move it.

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What version are you using?

EV 8 introduced the ability to update the archived items location and retention category if you want.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What version are you using?

EV 8 introduced the ability to update the archived items location and retention category if you want.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Further to Tony's response..

What version and service pack of EV?

What version and service pack of Outlook?

Working for cloudficient.com

ferniem
Level 2

Tony, How are you updating the location and retention category?  It cannot be done without unarchiving the item first.

Here are the versions:

EV Ver- 9.0.1

Outlook 2007 SP2

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

EV8 introduced the concept of Moved Items over two years ago now, its on the Exchange Mailbox Archiving Policy under the "Moved Items" tab, there it will also give you an option to update the retention category if you choose to use the moved items functionality.

If you are on 9 SP1 it is recommended you also use the Moved Items hotfix

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

JesusWept3
Level 6

Tony previously commented on another thread about moved items
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/details-80-moved-items-feature-upgraded-depolyments#c...

The hotfix for the Moved Items / A6 Queue build up can be found here:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH153457

Release Notes for EV8 detailing Moved Items can be found here:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH68697

ferniem
Level 2

I understand what you mean now.  You are referring to moving archives items to another archive or to a another Archive server.  I know that works well, but not at the Outlook level; having users move email items say for example a new folder with a target archive policy on it fails.  

JesusWept3
Level 6

The functionality to move an archive between Vault Stores or Enterprise Vault Sites is Move Archive and was introduced fully in Enterprise Vault 8 Service Pack 4 and is used by right clicking "Archives" and selecting "Move Archive...."

However what you are referring to, and what i was describing previously is Moved Items , it has a tab on the mailbox policy and is used to update the shortcut locations and retention category, so if you move a shortcut from say \Inbox to \My Folder, it would recognise that the item has been moved, and update the index so that when you view through Search or Archive Explorer it would now show the location of where the shortcut had been moved to

From the Read Me file:

Before Enterprise Vault 8.0, an archive did not reflect changes to the location of a shortcut in an Exchange mailbox, or a change to the retention category of an archived item. For example, if a user moved a shortcut to another mailbox folder, the item's location in the archive was still the original folder from which it was archived.

With Enterprise Vault 8.0, when a user moves a shortcut to another folder in an Exchange mailbox or changes an item's retention category, the change is reflected inside the archive.

The main changes are as follows:

* Enterprise Vault Web applications that previously allowed a user to restore to an item's original location now allow the user to restore to the current folder. The current folder is the location in the mailbox that corresponds to the location of the item inside the archive.
* A user can now select one or more folders to search in Exchange Browser Search and Outlook Integrated Search.
* There is a new tab (named Moved Items) in the Exchange Mailbox Policy to control the updating of moved items. You can also control whether the retention category of moved items is updated.
* Shortcut deletion is now performed as part of the archiving process in the scheduled background run of the Exchange Mailbox Task and the Exchange Public Folder Task. Previously, shortcut deletion had its own separate schedule.
* As there is no longer a separate schedule for shortcut deletion, the Shortcut Deletion tabs in the Exchange Mailbox Task Properties and the Exchange Public Folder Task Properties have been removed.
* The Run Now dialog boxes for the Exchange Mailbox Task and the Exchange Public Folder Task now include shortcut processing. There are four Run modes: Archiving and Shortcut processing, Archiving, Shortcut processing, and Report.
* The Exchange Mailbox Task produces a new report file in Archiving and Shortcut processing mode and in Shortcut processing mode. The report shows which folders contained moved items that have been

John_Paul_WV
Level 2

The company has announced new limits on our e-vault folds 3GB. Mine is currently at 9GB. is there a way to move whole folders or delete them?

Is there a simple way to monitor the size of the folder?

Prior to the vault, I used my outlook inbox as an electronic library putting items in sub folders

for example

Foot and Mouth Disease

Sub folder - vaccine

Sub folder - epidemiology

Sub folder - outbreaks

sub sub folder - England 2001, etc

So is there a simple solution - i.e. delete the whole mess, or delete folders or move folders?