cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with Public Folder archiving

Stormonts
Level 5
We have a number of Public Folders that aren't public to everyone and have certain permissions set on them.  I'm trying to figure out the best way to set this up in EV, so that the permissions are set the same and replicated.

Should I use the "Standard" method and then create a new archive that matches each top level public folder and then enable each folder into the respective archive?

Like if our public folders were:

Public Folders
  |->All Public Folders
    |-> Admin
    |-> Billing

It would be best to create an archive called Admin and "standard" enable the Admin folder to that Archive and then create an archive for Billing and "standard" enable the Billing folder to that archive?  I know that the other option would be to just create one archive called "Public Folders" and enabled each folder to that one archive, but I don't see how the permissions would carry over in that case.

Thanks for the help.

Message Edited by Stormonts on 06-04-2008 07:07 AM
5 REPLIES 5

Maquiladoras
Level 4
Employee
Permissions will be carried over fine, normally what I tend to suggest is that you create a standard archive for the public folder ,and not an auto enabler, if you use auto enabler then you will have an archive for each seperate subfolder

So in my environment i have

\myRootFolders\Test1_1\Test1_2\Test1_3
\myRootFolders\Test2_1\Test2_2\Test2_3

I target \myRootFolders as a standard archive that goes to an archive called "Public Folders"
I add the VSA account at the root folder and give it full ownership
On \Test1_1\ and below i give UserA permissions to have Author
On \Test2_1\ and below i give UserB permissions to have Author
On \myRootFolders i give both UserA and UserB "view folder" permissions

Then when i log on as UserA i can only see the \myRootFolders\Test1_1\ and below, and UserB can only see \Test2_1

Enterprise Vault is very good at matching permissions set in outlook, i have never seen it to where Users can see more in the vault than they can within outlook.

The reason for not using auto-enabler is in the above scenario i would end up with 7 archives (one for each folder) where as just having the one archive is better

Stormonts
Level 5
So even though there will just be one "Public Folder" archive listed in the EV admin console, permissions for individual folders within that archive will transfer over from the Exchange server?

What if there is a public folder on the Exchange server which is no longer needed and is deleted, then say a user needs to view the vaulted messages that were in that folder.  There isn't a specific instance of just that folder for which we could set permissions on, so how would we add permissions for a user to access a folder in that case?  it seems like the only way to do that would be to create an archive for each top level folder?

Stormonts
Level 5
Am I wrong on this?

Say we have a Public Folder called Admin to which Jane Smith has permission.  That Public folder is then stored in an archive called "Public Folders" along with all other public folders.  If that Admin folder is deleted from the Exchange server and a user named John Doe now needs to read the vaulted messages in that folder, John Smith can only be granted permission on the entire Public Folder archive and not just the Admin folder to which he needs permission to?

Alternatively, creating an Archive for each top level Public Folder would resolve this, correct?

karmakoma
Level 5
I'm about to enable archiving on our public folders. Also I don't see what the issue is with having multiple archives representing each public folder. I think it gives more granularity.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
having thousands of public folder archives is such a horrible idea
i would suggest testing it first and seeing what you think and how AE looks etc
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146