cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup and EV integration

Casey_King
Level 6
I have been asked to integrate Enterprise Vault into Netbackup.  I did a search on Netbackup and Enterprise Vault Integration and found the white paper.  My current environment is:

Master Server: Windows 2003 Server
Netbackup: NBE 6.0MP4

From reading the white paper, I think I have a general idea of the process, but I have a couple of questions.

The document talks about a "EV6 Netbackup Migrator," am I needing to build a quasi "media server" to add that will be communicating with either my master server or one of my media servers.  I guess my thought is, the Migrator will be managing expiration and file tracking.

Because we are going to be writing archived data to tape (which I believe would be the DVS rolled into .CAB files). When a user tries to retrieve this data, exchange will communicate with EV and try to pull the file from the .CAB which has been written to tape and taken offsite, this will cause the request to hang or error.  What kind of policies and procedures do some have in place to mitigate this possibility?

Has anyone seen a great increase on the amount of media used in this type of setup?

Just trying to get a solid foundation before moving forward.  I know I am going to need to write up a policy and a backup procedure for this.
3 REPLIES 3

Herman_Rutten
Level 4
Partner Certified
Hi Casey,

You do not need a separate NetBackup media server for integration with Enterprise Vault. EV uses the general media manager functionality to move EV generated CAB files to tape, so any existing media server you have will do. However, to do this you will need to create a NetBackup DataStore policy. In NBU 5.1 this policy was selectable by default (part of the core license). In NBU 6.0 the feature has been removed from the core license, so you will need to request a specific license key to unlock this feature.

About the requests: Any item that is located in a CAB file that has been moved to tape and that the user tries to retrieve will automatically generate a restore job in NBU. If it takes too long to retrieve the item a time-out will kick in and the user is informed that the item is probably stored on a slow device and the user is requested to try again later. So no 'hangs' in this case. If requests need to be handled immediately, you could do an inline copy so you always have a copy on location.

The increase in media usage is very dependant on the amount that is actually archived and how you've configured your CAB collection settings in EV.

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

Herman.

Casey_King
Level 6
Herman,

Thanks for your response to my questions.  After spending a week trying to figure out the DataStore issue I was having (because I am running NB 6.0), Symantec gave me the DataStore license I needed.  According to them, it was supposed to be part of the core package.  From what I see you are saying, that it was 'intentionally' removed from 6.0?  Is this because it will become a license that requires payment for use?

Do you happen to know where the information is located that states the DataStore option was removed from 6.0?  It would be good knowledge to pass along, especially since Syamtec technicians still believe it is to be part of the core package.

Casey

Moraillon_josse
Level 4
Hi,

I remember there was a license give into EV 6 documentations,
Check into install guide or Admin guide on the EV6 CD, there is a how configure netbackup section with the license in clear...

this license was working in NBU 5.1MP5 , but for NBU 6 ?? to test