cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Placeholders, disater recovery - looking forward

Richard_ware
Level 5
Normally we wait till a server blows up and then have the nightmare task of retrieving the placeholders and migrating them to a new server, however, i'm now trying to get a jump on everything and think ahead, one of my servers looks like it will blow up pretty soon.. so i 'm planning to move all the data off onto a new server.

Now the fun starts.. If i restore from my Backup Exec backups, all the files including the placeholders to a new location (server) the placeholders will not work because they come over as dead files. (funny this as both the vaulting software and the back up software are Symantec..)

If i use the fsautility to move the placeholders i'll be here till doomsday as it can only handle 1 folder at a time

I cant recreate the placeholders as it only recreates to a server with the same name, and the server is still live.

If i move the placeholders using normal commands, it recalls the files and i end up recalling all 150gb data.

Has anyone got any advise what i should attempt next...

Regards

Richard
1 REPLY 1

groucho007
Level 2
Have come to a similar situation and have sent a call to Symantec: what is best practice and what is not ?("surely we are not the first " ...trying to migrate data to a new server anticipating on the complete crash of the old server) No reaction so far.

As far as I have understood the fsautility tool it would be able to move the placeholders from a complete (sub) directory hierarchy; not only one file at a time. If this is not the case it is better to call "enterprise vault" "only desktop vault" because to my opinion it is essential to act proactively on crashing servers even when they are (still) online.

Having read many messages on moving placeholders, I guess changes in the database itself might be the best option; now to find out the right tables......

I'll keep you posted