Did you mean: 

Reversing a PST Migration?

Marc_Cacciola
Level 4
Hello again. My issue:

1.Enabled user
2.Imported a dozen PSTs the contents of which have been archived
3.User does not want these items in the archive

I tried exporting but it was just impossible to determine what was part of the PST import versus what was archived straight from the user's inbox.

Any ideas? I can provide more detail.
4 REPLIES 4

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Marc,
Are there commonalities to the items which should be removed from the archive? The only real way to get them out is to do an archive export as an administrator. Otherwise, a feasible option would be to enable the client to remove items from the archive (this is a bad idea btw), have the client use the web search page, restore the items which offend him/her from the archive to the mailbox source, then to delete the contents of the basket from the archive.

IMHO, push this task on to the user if you're comfy giving him/her temporary rights against your vaultstore/archive. If you're not, the only option is to do an export. You can even bounce the entire archive back to the original mailbox and "start fresh" by applying the correct mailbox archival policy.

micah

Marc_Cacciola
Level 4
I've just enabled the 'users can delete items from their archives' bit at the site level, bounced all services and tasks, and have initiated a synchronization. So I am going ahead with giving users the temporary ability to delete archived items.

Can I remove archived items from archive explorer? I'm guessing I will have to wait a while for syncing to take place.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Yup,

You should be able to do a delete with archive explorer...do remember to remove the delete from vault ability or you'll open your archive to a lot of "uncertainty". It's a best practice to not allow this functionality to your clients.

micah

Marc_Cacciola
Level 4
Great. I'm going to finish up this one users archive and disable the feature. I'll poke around the admin guide for a consistency check for the archive.

Fingers crossed. Thanks for everything!