cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set 200 MB Mailbox Max?

Brian_Lynch
Level 3
Hello,

Is there a way to tell KVS that when a mailbox on the Exchange server gets to 200 MB to archive anything after that?

Thanks,
Brian
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
If memory serves EV uses the first limit it finds. You may want to suggest customers to remove the prohibit send\receive limits, because if for some reason they reach the prohibit limits Archiving can't occur. If the user can't send\receive neither can the mailbox be archived. Seen that support case a few to many times.:)

There is also this for 5.0 sp6:

Quota archiving and mailbox 'Prohibit send' value
It is now possible to perform archiving by quota in which the mailbox Prohibit send value is taken to be 100% quota. In order to do this, set the PreferQuotaNoSendLimit DWORD registry entry under the following registry key on the server hosting the mailbox Archiving Service:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SOFTWARE
\KVS
\Enterprise Vault
\Agents
Set PreferQuotaNoSendLimit to 1 to archive with the mailbox Prohibit send value as 100% of quota.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

TonySterling
You can create a mailbox policy and base it on quota of the mailbox. You can get some information on this in the Vault Admin Console help.

I am not a huge fan of quota archiving as it has it's challenges, but I think if you are going to use quota based it is a good idea to get the mailboxes archived down using age based and then use quota for maintaining the mailboxe size.

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Gotta agree with Tony here. The quota based policies are only good if you've got an organization that has a flat structure (or well defined OU structure) with a default quota (without special exceptions). Quota archiving takes some addtional turns of the registry knobs/screws to make it work as expected. In addition, it's not as predictable as age based.

Now this isn't to say that quota doesn't have it's time and place....but your default should be age based.

micah

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
what registry keys for quota based archiving?

David_Messeng1
Level 6
EV knows the mailbox limits so I guess you can use EVPM to archive when the mailbox hits 200Mb.

Read the limit (hard quota I think?) thru SQL. As long as this is greater than 200 then you set the %age to start to archive at to be 20000/Mbox Quota...

1Gb mailbox limi = 20000/1000 = archive @ 20%
600Mb maibox limit = 20000/600 = arcvhie @ 33%

looks right don't it?

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Actually I just implemented this at a client. The quota that it detected was the warn quota, not the hard limit. The client didn't have a hard limit set, so _maybe_ it took that quota because it's the only one left...but it's nice to know the app is smart enough for this.

micah

TonySterling
If memory serves EV uses the first limit it finds. You may want to suggest customers to remove the prohibit send\receive limits, because if for some reason they reach the prohibit limits Archiving can't occur. If the user can't send\receive neither can the mailbox be archived. Seen that support case a few to many times.:)

There is also this for 5.0 sp6:

Quota archiving and mailbox 'Prohibit send' value
It is now possible to perform archiving by quota in which the mailbox Prohibit send value is taken to be 100% quota. In order to do this, set the PreferQuotaNoSendLimit DWORD registry entry under the following registry key on the server hosting the mailbox Archiving Service:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SOFTWARE
\KVS
\Enterprise Vault
\Agents
Set PreferQuotaNoSendLimit to 1 to archive with the mailbox Prohibit send value as 100% of quota.

Jane_Lau
Level 3
Yes, it can be tricky to use quota based policy. Beside, point mentioned above, careful with the the 'non-archive' item and folder, it contributes 'size' to the mailbox. It could ended archive most of the recent items.

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Take off the send recieve limits at your peril. I've seen really big servers crash (out of disk) when people have done this.

Brian_Lynch
Level 3
Thanks for all the replies! They are greatly appreciated.