cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usser Reorganization of File Storage

colmtourque
Level 4

EV 2007 SP2 and windows 2003 file server.
Curious how people handle this problem. I'm currently working with Symantec to fix the issue so I'm more looking for how to avoid the problem if at all possible.

We have users who will take whole folder structures up to their desktop to reorganize them and then place them back. During the process this destroys the placeholder structure and is forcing a whole lot of repair work.

Short of replacing the users desktop with an etch a sketch is there anyway within Vault to protect against such an occurence and still allow users to reorganize folder structures. I've been told we want to still allows the file server to act like a normal windows file server, and on a normal file server this would cause no damage.

Thanks.

(again no I can't remove the users computer or hurt the user in any way)

;)

2 REPLIES 2

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I don't think you will find an easy fix for this...

Until now, I haven't heard of such a requirement.

Where the Users educated to do re-organizations this way?!

/Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

colmtourque
Level 4

Actually in working with the support personell we discovered the issue is with pruning enable and the moving of files in such a fashion.  SP4 is suppsoed to fix this issue with pruning. The user just got wild, but I've heard others descirbe this method as how they move things when they get a wild hair and decide to just reorganize shares. 

It was fixed by restoring backups with the option to only overight older files and then using some symantec utilities that find DVS files that were removed from the database entering the data back into the tables. On the whole been a great learning experience about the intracacies of the db, dvs files and placeholders as well as a monumental pain the neck. 

Again, symantec has been great if you have such an issue you'll basically have to call them.