cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to check when "Enterprise Vault is not available" appears in Outlook?

BruGuy
Level 6
Hello,

First off, I'm a newbie with EV. I've installed the system and configured one user. It was working for that test user, and I could archive items. However, I had to reinstall the PC where Outlook was installed and now the  tab in Outlook Today's properties says "Enterprise Vault is not available." That's odd because I can search the vault from the same client and see the previously archived test items.

Could someone please give me general things to check when that happens?

Also, I haven't put the client PC in a Windows domain yet - does that matter?

Thanks,

- Alan.

12 REPLIES 12

Maverik
Level 6
It would probably make things easier if it was a member of the domain.

Search VAults is just a web page so as long as autehtinctaion takes place this will work.

Not really enough info here to diagnose exactly what is going on. Is the EV client installed? Can you see any buttons such as the archive, restore if these are allowed?  Are the Archived emails forms dispalying correctly with archived mail icons?

BruGuy
Level 6
Yes, all the buttons are visible, the previously archived items are present with the correct icon, the EV tab is available in Outlook Today properties and the EV client is installed. The only difference is that it's a installation of Outlook on new PC which isn't in any domain.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi

Is there an authentication popup?

/Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

BruGuy
Level 6
Yes, when I start Outlook. So I enter domain/username and password and the mailbox opens fine.

MichelZ
Level 6
OK, but there is no authentication when you try to open an Archived Element?
Is the EV Server listed on the Client's Internet Explorer "Intranet" Zone?

BruGuy
Level 6
Yes, I am prompted for credentials when I click on the seach vault icon in Outlook. The EV server's DNS alias and real NetBIOS/FQDN names are in the Local intranet zone sites and I have logged off of Windows/on again.

MichelZ
Level 6
Is there any special requirement not having the computer in the Domain?
This would be probably be the easiest solution.

Cheers
Michel

BruGuy
Level 6
No special reason except that it's a test PC so I rebuild it often.

So is domain membership more-or-less a requirement for EV?

MichelZ
Level 6
Well, it shouldn't be, but it definitely makes things easier.
As this is a test PC, could you try taking it into the domain and test it?

If it works, I'd suggest to open a case with Symantec to check if it is really required to have the PC in the Domain.
I would be interested in a statement from Symc, too.

Cheers

Kopfjager
Level 5
Employee Certified
It is not a requirement to be in a domain, but this is Windows\IIS setting that is prompting you. 

You are making a http request to the EV server.  IIS is set to use basic and integrated credentials.  The account you log on to the workstation is not known, so it wont use integrated.  It then prompts you for an account and password.

If you check the IIS logs of the EV server, you can probably see the requests coming in and the intitial refections until you give the username and password.

This is really not much different then if you tried Start-Run- \\servername\share to the EV server.  You would be prompted would you not? 

By being part of the domain, you can use the Integrated Authentication and not be prompted.

BruGuy
Level 6
Ok but is that what's causing "EV is not available" to be displayed in Outlook today - Properties?

If I add the PC to the domain, I don't get that message. So does the EV client really just use HTTP for all its communications with the EV server then?

Kopfjager
Level 5
Employee Certified
No, the full client uses DCOM as well as HTTP depending on the call being made. 

But again, you are doing something that requires some type of authenication. 

I'll give you another example outside of EV.  If you connected to a network printer by giving the password and username, you can add it this session.   Once you log off and log back on, you can still have the printer listed, but you will not be able to use it and the status will show "Access Denied" or not availible.  Connecting to that printer using a user and password allows you access again.    Same principal here.  The server you are connecting to and EV have to be able to recognize you as a valid user to allow you do the functions you want.