cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creating offline vault cache takes forever

OlafD
Level 5
When we enable offline vault for users, this takes sometimes more than a day. Now I read in an other topic, that we probably did not fill in a Cache Locaiton in the EV Console, Enterprise Vault Servers, properties of the EV server, tab Cache.
Indeed this was empty. I created a folder on the local D: drive, called Cache. I enter D:\Cache in the Cache Location in the mentioned tab. Saved all settings and restarted all services.

When I now go to this client and recreate the offline vault(after deleting manually the current offline vault) with the option "reset archive explorer view", it still takes forever. When I look in the cache folder on the server, it has created subfolder called ByteRange but there is nothing in it. I changed the permissions to Everyone 'Full Control' but no luck either.

Any idea what this could be?

Olaf

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Well, yes ish..  the vault cache is built on the server, and then transferred over BITS to the client.
Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi Olaf,

VC is totally different then Offline Vault. Check for the documents.
Does the client have the 8.0 add-in?
Does he have an option to enable vault cache?
If you think it should be building, goto the vault server the archive is on, login as VSA, open browser, goto
http: / / localhost/enterprisevault/vcview.aspx  (add spaces to not have this turn in a link, as localhost, you can use vaultservernaem/alias)

You should see if there is any action taking place.

Check this also: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/fr/blogs/virtual-vault-best-practice-overview-white-papers
Regards. Gertjan

OlafD
Level 5

I don't know what you mean with VC? We have EV 7.5 and use the Offline Vault for laptop users. On the server side the Cache Location was empty. I read in an another article that this might cause the offline vault to be build very slowly.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
OlafD,

I think you'll need two things .. in a controlled environment (ie not 100's of people trying to build a Vault Cache together - just one single user -- for now).

* Client trace (with maximum logging enabled)
* Server side dtrace of EVMonitoring

That should show some more of what is happening.

You may also wish to see the status page of the VC build from the client, and see the status it shows there.  Perhaps the download for the .DB file from the server is slow ...  do you have BITs running on the client, and it isn't restricted by any group policies?

In addition take a look at http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/335918.htm

OlafD
Level 5

I think Vault Cache is something from version 8 and up? We have offline vault and we are trying to build an offline vault for a major director here. But as always after 1 an hour it is just at 5 percent. The cache directory on the server is strangely enough empty. I enabled this, like suggested in this article and which solved the problem for this user:
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/synchronizing-offline-vault-cache-taking-forever-progress-seems-frozen

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Okay.

So there are mixed messages here.

Please provide a client trace, so we can see the version of the client and the server.

For EV 2007, the cache location on the server is not relevant at all.  The build takes place on the client, not the server.  If you're seeing the progress bar on the client, then you just have to wait for that to complete, and yes, it will take a long time if the users archive is very large.

For your test user, how large is the archive?

GertjanA
Hi Olaf,

I got consfused because you mentioned cache folder on server. Assuming too much.

In my previous environment, I had a colleague throwing away his Offline Vault data, and then rebuilding it. His archive consisted of about 155000 items, about 4 GB in size. This took almost 4 working days to complete. If your director can do without his laptop for a few evenings/nights, I'd leave it working (locked away, but connected obviously), to quickly finish building the offline vault.

GJ
Regards. Gertjan

OlafD
Level 5

OK, than we can forget about it, I think. When I read in the mentioned URL that we could speed it up with this cache on the server and, I was some kind of happy. Now the two of you mention it always takes that long, and so there is nothing to speed this up, I don't have to worry something is wrong with our environment and have to accept it takes that long.
He has 5gb to import and is at 27% after 2 hours.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Yep unfortunately with EV 2007 you're "stuck" with this way.

GertjanA
 27% after 2 hours translates to 100% in 8 hours. Not bad for such a big archive.
Regards. Gertjan

OlafD
Level 5

OK,  'good' to hear ;)

Is this changed in v8/v9 ? Is this much faster?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Well, yes ish..  the vault cache is built on the server, and then transferred over BITS to the client.