cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

old Notes data migration to Exchange

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Hi,

a cutomer with over 10.000 mailboxes plans to get rid of Lotus Notes.

There was a migration from Notes to Exchange a couple of years ago. Old data were not migrated.

The customer has no archiving solution in use right now.

Is it possible to archive Notes mails to Enterprise Vault then get rid of Notes, to connect the data with Exchange?

I know it is possible to convert the shortcuts with an EVTool.

I try to prevent the migration from notes to exchange to mitigate the burden exchange has to handle.

Or is it recommended/mandatory to use a migration tool like Quest Migrator to move the data before?

Kind regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

yes your assumptions are pretty much correct. if you're open to migration tools then TransVault can help a lot. drop me a PM with your contact info and i'll get you in touch with the right people.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AndrewB

the data will be in Notes format in EV so you can't "connect the data with Exchange" per se. access to notes is via ID files whereas Exchange permissions and such are all inherited via AD. now, with EV 11 or 12, the users would be able to see their old archives via EV Search but they'd be limited and you'd have to figure out an EVPM script to grant permissions for all the 10,000 users. you might want to run a small POC and some UAT to see if you'll end up with an acceptable solution for your customer.

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Thank you Andrew. I excpected that already.

By limited you mean, that they can not redirect or answer to mails without Notes?

Could a third party Tool like Transvault help here? As far as I understand they use the Notes NSF Files and convert them onthefly to PST and migrate them into the user archive.

Although I know there is a conversion taking place, so the mails might look a bit different after migrating.

Do you have any suggestions?

AndrewB

yes your assumptions are pretty much correct. if you're open to migration tools then TransVault can help a lot. drop me a PM with your contact info and i'll get you in touch with the right people.