cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pst migrator method

Sofiane_bekhedd
Level 3
Hello
I have an EV for journaling process; I have many DVD containing old pst files of journal mailboxes, I want to integrate them into EV using pst migratory, are there any manner to avoid using pst locator and collector?
Thanks for help
Sofiane
9 REPLIES 9

Alan_M
Level 6
Use the PST migration wizard. In the EV admin console right click on the Archives container and then choose Import. This will launch the wizard and guide you through the PST import process. The DVD's will need to be copied to disk and make sure the read only attribute is removed.

Sofiane_bekhedd
Level 3
Thank you Alain
I tried it, it asks me to choose one of the existing vault stores, whatever I select, message appears asking me to choose another, how can I brows to find pst files?

Alan_M
Level 6
You have to select the target vault store first. You may want to create a separate store and call it historical for this purpose, this is not required just a suggestion. Once you have selected a store you will be prompted to select the PST files and then after that you will configure some of the PST import options such as target archives etc.

MarkOlsen
Level 4
All:

Out of curiosity, will this method (1) preserve the folder hierarchy in the PST, and (2) maintain the name of the original owner of the PST? Or, are these even relevant concepts?

Sofiane_bekhedd
Level 3
these PST are from journal mailbox so no need to specify the owner.

Alan_M
Level 6
Mark I'm assuming here that you have your own project in mind. The PST folder hierarchy should be preserved however the owner of the PST is another matter. The process can rely on ACLs on the PSTs to associate with a user and hence a mailbox and an archive. So in theory you could import PSTs which had correct ACLs directly into user archives. However I would encourage you test thoroughly or just import PSTs and then manually assign them to archives.

Sofiane_bekhedd
Level 3
Thank you all
I had to create an archive in shared archive instead journal archive, affected to the correspondent vault store;
merci

MarkOlsen
Level 4
Alan:

Thanks much for your reply. Yes, I was thinking of our project. In particular, my concern with direct PST importation into a mailbox archive is that all of the folder structures be preserved so that when the user views their mailbox archive (via Archive Explorer) they would see not only the E-mail archived from their production Exchange mailbox but also those directly imported from PST's. I'm assuming that none of the folders for directly imported PST's will be visibile in Outlook with shortcuts, correct?

As a side note, our current thought is that we have users drag the needed folders into their production Exchange mailbox. EV would then properly handle the archiving, ACL's, folder structures and most importantly, shortcuts so that it is one seamless view.

Thanks ... Mark

Alan_M
Level 6
Mark

One of the options you have is to merge folder structures when you do a PST migration. So if there is a unique folder in the PST you should see a unique folder within the mailbox (with shortcuts if you elect to create shortcuts) or in Archive Explorer. You have four options with PST migration. I'd always suggest a client driven migration (the name is misleading since it does not require the user to interact with the migration but rather uses the Outlook client extensions to copy the PST data for import into EV). There is also a marking process which makes the archive selection process much more transparent. This approach is generally less labor intensive than a PST import.