cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

techniques for establishing the ownership of a PST file using client drive PST migration

Zap
Level 4
Partner
I'm trying to understand how enterprise vault determines the ownership of a PST file in more detail. We have PST marking, a concept that seems straight forward enough. Then I read NTFS permissions are also used to determine the owner. I would like to know exactly how this is calcualted? Is it based on the file ownership? explicitly assigned permissions? or simply the fact the EV client can access the PST file as the currently logged in user? Are there any other methods used to determine the ownership of a file? I have a specific issue I want to apply this understanding to: We have enabled client driven migration on EV8 SP3, using PST marking/tagging, searching the whole C: drive. ALl users are local admins on their computers. As expected the EV client finds all the PST's, even those in other users local profiles. However, the problem I face is that all the pst files are being associated with the logged on users mailbox. These PST files have never been opened by the user so therefor should not be tagged as theirs. Why is it corrrelating the logged on user with all PST's on the local computer? Cheers
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

PST Marking is by far the best primary mechanism for establishing ownership.  When it's enabled in the policy each time an end user opens Outlook, any PSTs in the profile will be marked, by that user.  *1

Ownership is then considered based on finding an explicit owner based on NTFS permissions and lastly share permissions.

This has similarities to server driven migration too.

What you might want to do on the client driven part is to restrict the scanning to the users document and settings folder.. it'll then only scan THAT users document and settings folder... which should help, when compared with scanning the whole drive.

*1 interesting "problem" here if the PST file is shared by UserA and UserB...  last marker wins.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

PST Marking is by far the best primary mechanism for establishing ownership.  When it's enabled in the policy each time an end user opens Outlook, any PSTs in the profile will be marked, by that user.  *1

Ownership is then considered based on finding an explicit owner based on NTFS permissions and lastly share permissions.

This has similarities to server driven migration too.

What you might want to do on the client driven part is to restrict the scanning to the users document and settings folder.. it'll then only scan THAT users document and settings folder... which should help, when compared with scanning the whole drive.

*1 interesting "problem" here if the PST file is shared by UserA and UserB...  last marker wins.

Working for cloudficient.com