cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

after 1.2 update all backups are failing Error 213

Stanleyj
Level 6

Updated my 5200 appliance to version 1.2 and now all of the backups are erroring with a 213 (no storage unit avialable)

I have rebooted the appliance and the master server.  Verified that the host entry on the master resolved the appliance and shows the new version of the operating system.

Did i miss a step in the update process?

Has any one else experienced this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stanleyj
Level 6

I do not know if this has happened to everyone with a 5200 appliance but after working with support they have determined the problem with my upgrade and are releasing a 1.2b upgrade that resolves all the issues i experienced.

The tech and i worked on this for 3 days before the engineers said they were aware of the issues the 1.2 upgrade had caused.  here is the follow up email i recieved from the technician. 

must ge logged in as the root user

Issue 1:

Status 213 on all backups after applying NBU 5200 Appliance patch 1.2.0.0, spad and spoold would not start.

Followed steps in technote TECH164848 to fix that issue.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH164848

There is a note in that document stating that the patch will be re-released as 1.2b and that version will contain a fix which will prevent this issue.

I did some checking and the 1.2b patch is not yet posted for download, but I am waiting for word from those in the know on when we can expect that patch update.

After the fix steps were followed, we did one successful backup but others started failing with 213 again.

Issue 2

Status 213 on all backups again.  Diskpool inventory fails again.

- checked services again.  The spoold process was running, but spad was not.

- Looked at the directory /disk/databases/catalog  Saw a file called po_list_2

Renamed that file and cycled services on the NBU 5200.  The spad started and all backups started working.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Stanleyj
Level 6

I do not know if this has happened to everyone with a 5200 appliance but after working with support they have determined the problem with my upgrade and are releasing a 1.2b upgrade that resolves all the issues i experienced.

The tech and i worked on this for 3 days before the engineers said they were aware of the issues the 1.2 upgrade had caused.  here is the follow up email i recieved from the technician. 

must ge logged in as the root user

Issue 1:

Status 213 on all backups after applying NBU 5200 Appliance patch 1.2.0.0, spad and spoold would not start.

Followed steps in technote TECH164848 to fix that issue.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH164848

There is a note in that document stating that the patch will be re-released as 1.2b and that version will contain a fix which will prevent this issue.

I did some checking and the 1.2b patch is not yet posted for download, but I am waiting for word from those in the know on when we can expect that patch update.

After the fix steps were followed, we did one successful backup but others started failing with 213 again.

Issue 2

Status 213 on all backups again.  Diskpool inventory fails again.

- checked services again.  The spoold process was running, but spad was not.

- Looked at the directory /disk/databases/catalog  Saw a file called po_list_2

Renamed that file and cycled services on the NBU 5200.  The spad started and all backups started working.

Justin_Cruttend
Level 3

It happened to us too. Apparently we were the first to report the issue - because there were no other reported cases - but I wonder if the information wasn't being shared!

NetBackup was incapacitated for 24 hours and over night - which means we missed an entire backup window - until support fixed it.

They even replicated the problem on their test system.

What a joke. Was this release even tested before release?

The software on the 5200 leaves a lot to be desired. no