cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7.5 Clustered Client Installation

GlennG-NB
Level 4

There seems to be plenty of information about installing NetBackup 7.5 Server on Windows clusters, but I can't find anything about installing client software on clusters.  I am new to clustering, so I may be missing something obvious.  If you have, for example, a file server running on a two-node Windows 2008 cluster and you want to back up each node separately, how do you install the NetBackup 7.5 client software?  Install to the virtual server name?  Or install to each node separately?  Thanks.   -G.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Install on each node separately.

Short section in NetBackup in Highly Available Environments Administrator's Guide http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5183 :

p. 74:

The NetBackup client is installed on a cluster as it is in a non-clustered environment. Refer to the Symantec NetBackup Installation Guide for information on how to install the NetBackup client.

Ignore rest of paragraph...

This is how most of us backup clustered clients:

One policy for System drives for actual node names.

Another policy for Virtual hostname to backup shared data. This can be MS-Windows policy to backup File Server or for example MS-SQL to backup clustered instance.
Ensure forward and reverse lookup between master, media server and virtual hostname.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Install on each node separately.

Short section in NetBackup in Highly Available Environments Administrator's Guide http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5183 :

p. 74:

The NetBackup client is installed on a cluster as it is in a non-clustered environment. Refer to the Symantec NetBackup Installation Guide for information on how to install the NetBackup client.

Ignore rest of paragraph...

This is how most of us backup clustered clients:

One policy for System drives for actual node names.

Another policy for Virtual hostname to backup shared data. This can be MS-Windows policy to backup File Server or for example MS-SQL to backup clustered instance.
Ensure forward and reverse lookup between master, media server and virtual hostname.

Amaan
Level 6

I was late for two minutes. :) I dont think my asnwer is better, but it was solution I guess :)

GlennG-NB
Level 4

Thanks to you both -- just what I was looking for.   -G.