cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A replication question

sunlover
Level 3

Hello,

Here is our plan open for discussion: We are looking at moving guests to the filer and we would like to have some added protection in the case of filer issues. Can we get NetBackup to store to one drive and perform block level replication to another. What I envision is after the initial backup and deduplication to a guest drive on the local host, the system would replicate the backup data to another guest drive that is located on the filer. That way if a filer issue cause data loss, a copy will be local on the VMware host, and if the host data is lost there is a copy on the filer.

Thank you in advance for your help!

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@sunlover

I am battling to understand some of the terminology that you are using.
Before we try to answer, could you please tell us more about this? 

'We are looking at moving guests to the filer... '
What guests?
What filer? 

I am also battling to understand what is 'deduplication to a guest drive on the local host '.
MSDP storage is only supported on DAS (Direct Attached), SAN or iSCSI.

Will this be duplication or replication to another MSDP media server or master server? 
'... replicate the backup data to another guest drive that is located on the filer

Do you perhaps have a drawing of your planned environment? 

Hi,

I am sorry about confusion. Let me try to make it clearer: We are looking at moving VMware machines (NetBackup clients) to the NetApp filer, our NAS storage. Can we get NetBackup to backup to one drive and perform block level duplication to another drive. In other words, after the initial backup and deduplication to a guest drive on the local host, the system would duplicate the backup data to another guest drive that is located on the NetApp filer. That way if a NetApp filer issue cause data loss, a copy will be local on the VMware host, and if the host data is lost there is a copy on the NetApp filer. Yes, our NetBackup drive is MSDP on iSCSI. We haven't made a drawing of the plan yet.

Thank you!

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You can duplicate from one MSDP media server to another MSDP media server. 

A media server can only have one MSDP pool. 
The new MSDP pool on the NetApp will need to be attached (iSCSI or SAN) to another media server.

Hi Marianne,

Thank you very much for your reply. This message is quite helpful.