cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add HP-UX Client

Adamaitis
Level 4

We are starting to put together our test lab for DR.  I have a couple of HP-UX systems but HP-UX isn't a OS I can select when I add a new client to a policy.  Did I miss one of my license keys maybe?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You will want to `mkdir` the "missing" clients underneath /usr/openv/netbackup/client on your master.

See my (sadly, not marked as solution) comment in this thread: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/unable-add-linux-client-machine-netbackup-aix-server#comment-4539271

Not sure which ones you'll need, but here's all the HP ones I pulled from the 6.5.6 CLT README:

# cd /usr/openv/netbackup/client
# mkdir HP9000-800
# ln -s HP9000-800 HP9000-700
# mkdir HPUX-IA64
# cd HP9000-800
# mkdir HP-UX11.00
# mkdir HP-UX11.11
# ln -s HP-UX11.11 HP-UX11.23
# mkdir HP-UX11.31
# cd ../HP-UX-IA64
# mkdir HP-UX11.23
# mkdir HP-UX11.31

Technically, those could all be empty subdirectories if you don't like symlinks, but some day you might end up actually installing those clients on your master, so it doesn't hurt to be precisely correct about the setup. :) Note that this setup is for 6.5 - things get shuffled around a bit (and/or drop off and disappear) in 7.0.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What is available for selection?

Please post more information about your environment. O/S, NBU Version, licenses you have, etc.

Adamaitis
Level 4

I can select:

NDMP, NDMP

Novell, NetWare

OpenVMS

Windows 2000 - 2008

Solaris 8 - 10

This is netbackup 6.5.4, my master server is a solaris 10 box.  Not sure how to reply to what licenses I have....when I look at my "Features" I do not see any that relate to OS in my test or production envirnment.

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

When you install the client kits on your master server, you typically select which clients you want.  I'm guessing that you did not install the HP-UX client at the time.

It's not a license issue - it's a matter of the options you took with the CLT kit.  I'm guessing that you do not have the clients in /usr/openv/netbackup/client/ on your master either.

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

Also, from the CLT readme:

* - For "HP-UX-IA64/HP-UX11.31" or "HP9000-800/HP-UX11.31" to show when
            configuring clients into a backup policy, the following must be
            executed on the server:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/new_clients

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

That is odd though. Did you install any of the client files as Ed suggests? Did you add Windows, NetWare etc.

During the install process it asks you which clients you would like to install, and you then have a selection too choose from.

Ed, I thought that was purely used so you can push out the client files to Unix machine with the install_client script?

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You will want to `mkdir` the "missing" clients underneath /usr/openv/netbackup/client on your master.

See my (sadly, not marked as solution) comment in this thread: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/unable-add-linux-client-machine-netbackup-aix-server#comment-4539271

Not sure which ones you'll need, but here's all the HP ones I pulled from the 6.5.6 CLT README:

# cd /usr/openv/netbackup/client
# mkdir HP9000-800
# ln -s HP9000-800 HP9000-700
# mkdir HPUX-IA64
# cd HP9000-800
# mkdir HP-UX11.00
# mkdir HP-UX11.11
# ln -s HP-UX11.11 HP-UX11.23
# mkdir HP-UX11.31
# cd ../HP-UX-IA64
# mkdir HP-UX11.23
# mkdir HP-UX11.31

Technically, those could all be empty subdirectories if you don't like symlinks, but some day you might end up actually installing those clients on your master, so it doesn't hurt to be precisely correct about the setup. :) Note that this setup is for 6.5 - things get shuffled around a bit (and/or drop off and disappear) in 7.0.

Good luck!

Adamaitis
Level 4

Worked like a charm Chris.  Thank you all for your help.