cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMR restore.

Vin1688
Level 3
Does BMR restore applies to physical servers only? Or applies to VM as well?

Is it a BMR boot server needs to be setup prior to perform any BMR restore?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

basically if we use BMR for any asset, it will save the configuration (devices, drivers, etc) in the BMR database.
you should be able to find the details under the BMR management>Hosts>bare metal restore clients

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

kiyan
Level 5

BMR is for Pyshical servers only ,but it can be used to covert physical servers to VM (some limitations are there).
you will need a BMR boot server to do a BMR Restore.

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

two corrections to the previous post:

BMR can be used for both physical and virtual servers. There could be virtual servers which must be backed up as physical servers for reasons (cluster nodes, VMs sensitive to snapshots creation/deletion etc). Also a VM restore can be used as a "cheap" BMR training option.

BMR Boot Server must be available only in the case of Network Based boot. In the case of CD Based boot, Boot server is not needed (you can even restore BMR Boot Server itself by this procedure).

Regards

Michal

Ok. Cos last time able to perform some recovery using some BMR iso on 8.x for some VM so was thinking if it applies to VM too. Tks.

Ok. Having VM backing up using file level backup.
If were to check on 'BMR restore' checkbox, some BMR components will be stored somewhere in the event needed for rebuild and restore of VM's?

Hello Michal,

Thank you for correcting me.I never used BMR for any of our customer for Virtual machines. Would you explain a bit more about this option if you have applied it any specific situation?

to create a BMR boot CD, we will initially need a boot server, or at least that's how I create a boot server.

basically if we use BMR for any asset, it will save the configuration (devices, drivers, etc) in the BMR database.
you should be able to find the details under the BMR management>Hosts>bare metal restore clients

Ok. I suppose the config of those clients are store in the Master Server itself.

What if the master server is dead or corrupted and able to restore it using BMR approach?