cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup job stoppes when it comes to corrupt file naming

flavor4real
Level 5
Hello guys,
My backup job stoppes once it gets to a corrupt file name like EA2����OHSO.EFL.  The NetBackup tracker on the client showes that the speed counts downwards and the job will not get completed.  I've checked and the windows snapshot option on the master server is set to error our but since this is not the actual snap shot process, it should matter..... any help?

thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

So the big question "Is it compatible with NetBackup?".

If this encryption is not transparent to NB then this could be the reason you are having issues - but then maybe it should fail with an error in this case & job finish as partially complete (status 1) .... not sure, sorry.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

flavor4real
Level 5
somehow it did not took my post...
Here it is again:

The backup job stops once it gets to a file where it's file names (i think) is corrupt. I'm talking that the file name has squares and characters in it's naming which we can't even input as administrators.  I tried to copy past the file name in about it will not allow me to do so.  The file name basically has squares in the middle of it's naming showing up. 

Is there any setting i can set that would allow the backup kob to skip files it can't read?  The best option I found was the master server > properties > windows snapshop option > snapshot control > abort backup on error.  But the snapshot process is fine, this happends once the backup already backed up 6% or 54% ....

any help?

thanks

vjtaylor
Level 3

Hey Flavor4real,

It sounds like the most straightforward answer for you would be to use and exclude list (in which you can use wildcards) to exclude the files in question from backup.  Take a look at the SAG I Guide "Syntax rules for exclude list"; but basically you would create an exclude list for any client that has the corrupt filename and use a wildcard in place of the characters that you can not enter. 

Worth a try anyway :>

Vanessa

flavor4real
Level 5
don't tell me that..lol. Under Backup Exe I was used to that if a file could not be backedup, a note will apear n the report but it would no staop the complete backp job.... wooow

vjtaylor
Level 3
The backup, if it is unable to access a file it will generally give you partial success - status code 1 - however if it looks like a bogus file name is causing the software to spin its wheels until it times out - then excluding that file from the backup will simply speed up the rest of the job :>

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

It's all in the Admin Guides, Knowledge Base etc, but basically Windows can be set up via the GUI in Host Properties/Clients & *NIX via a file within, for example, /usr/openv/netbackup.

However, unless you can utilise wildcards or exclude the full directory you are going to find it awkward - how do you spell the file name that you want to exclude if it contains squares etc etc.

Can you get the admin of the system to delete the 'corrupt' file?

flavor4real
Level 5

See the problem I'm having is that we have bottleneck in our network, we are workin gon it to get this issue resolved but it might take a while.  The oranization switched to Netbacakup 6.5 and I'm the temp. backup admin.

If I run a backup job, it kicks in and runs, so everything looks good.  This particular job runs up to 55% and then slows down and don't go further.  I opened up the clients job tracker and see that the job is stuck on a file where it's naming convention seems to be corrupted.  I've made several searches for that special character and found them and removed these files.  Last night i've started the job again and a nother job had a nameing convention with special characters. 

Now, I can put up a exclusion list from what I've heard but that means i have to restart the job again. and since those special characters are randomly within the file name itself.  It's actually hard to filter out.  If I filter the extention out then i will most likley block all other 300GB of files out too. 

Is there somewhere a setting, like time out for backing up files, skips corrupt files, or anything which tells the job that if a files is unreadable or can't be backed up simple right away go to the next file?

how do you setup a exclusion list?

flavor4real
Level 5

so, from my understanding and correct meif i'm wrong.

Changing hte client property > timeouts > file brows timeout to (example: 300 seconds, having the Use OS dependent timeouts unchecked) might helps with this issue.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

You would generally increase timeouts to prevent a job from erroring out if it took too long in responding or waiting for a response (especially the case for database backups).

What is creating these 'corrupt' filenames?
Can something be done to prevent their production?
Are they in a specific location (e.g. a temp folder) that could be excluded?

flavor4real
Level 5
I don't know what creates these filenames with these squares in them. They  are in 2 or 3 different locations, and excluding the main folder would not do any good because the other files in the folder needed to be backed up.  From what i see is that the file extension by itself point to a file created by a application other than the usually ones. Example: EA2OHSO.EFL .... The corrupt file will have 3 to 5 squares between the EA2 and the OHSO.

According to a google search. A file with EFL file extension is an Encryptafile Encrypted file....

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

So the big question "Is it compatible with NetBackup?".

If this encryption is not transparent to NB then this could be the reason you are having issues - but then maybe it should fail with an error in this case & job finish as partially complete (status 1) .... not sure, sorry.