cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog backup performance SUCKS when on SAN storage

Wile_E__Coyote
Level 4

A consultant is coming in to upgrade us to Netbackup 6.5 over the next few weeks.

One of her requirements was that the catalog be on the SAN. I warned her that the last time we tried that, catalog backup performance suffered horribly, and it took several hours to move about 40GB of catalog to tape. She had never heard of such a thing and of course my manager insists that if you perform the same actions repeatedly, you will get different outcomes.

Surprise, surprise, surprise... I move the catalog to SAN storage today... Catalog just kicked off... By my calculations it will take 7-1/2 hours to complete, when it was only taking 1-1/2 hours before.

The SAN storage is a 500GB striped metadevice spread across at least 240 spindles. It should SMOKE, but it's flip-flapping along at a leisurely pace of about 5MB/s.

All our other SAN storage is similarly configured, and we are getting at least 12MB/s from individual devices. I'm thinking that this is something within Netbackup because nothing else makes sense.

0 REPLIES 0