cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy disk backups to tape without rerun backup from main virtual machines

mhdganji
Level 3

Hi,

I've made basic disk backups on the master/media server and recently added the tape library.

Because of slow network and machines, I like to copy all the backups on disk to tape and not to run backup jobs again with destination on tape.

Is that possible and how?

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hi

Go to Netbackup management in JAVA GUI, then to Catalog, than in Action select Duplicate - select your basic disk type and desired date/time range... and press search... once all backup images will be found, select the ones you want to duplicate by highlighting these and right click to perform duplication - where you will point to tape storage unit as well you can set volume pool and desired retention. 

that's all ;)

if you are proficient in CLI try to engage bpduplicate command... :)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hi

Go to Netbackup management in JAVA GUI, then to Catalog, than in Action select Duplicate - select your basic disk type and desired date/time range... and press search... once all backup images will be found, select the ones you want to duplicate by highlighting these and right click to perform duplication - where you will point to tape storage unit as well you can set volume pool and desired retention. 

that's all ;)

if you are proficient in CLI try to engage bpduplicate command... :)

Thanks, seems like a piece of cake. I'll test it when my jobs on tape are done and the Media is available

Just another thing: is this just like the actual backup is made from, let's say my VM on the vCenter to the tape. I mean, if I need to restore these moved-to-tape-from-basic-disk backups, simply can find and restore them from tape or any other operation like importing or so is firstly needed prior to the final VM restore?

Regards

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hello

Should be looking like that - if you will select during duplication that this is primary copy it will use tapes - restore. Some restores from tapes are no go - like instant recovery and maybe some for Exchange... I do not recall but pure vm based backup should be OK. Just remember that doing a file level restore from tape will be long lasting task...