cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defining Storage Units

Brian_Hesseling
Level 3
I have a master server that controls my robot along with having two LTO3 drives directly attached to it via fiber. I also have a media server with the other two drives in the library directly attached to it. Right now there are two storage units defined, one for each server with two drives in each. Can I break these drives into 4 individual storage units? The admin guide says that drives of the same type on the same server must be in the same storage unit. My support (via Versitec) says that I can break them up. Any suggestions?
5 REPLIES 5

Stumpr2
Level 6
Can I break these drives into 4 individual storage units?

..you can break them up into 40 storage units.

Brian_Hesseling
Level 3
....but should I???

I am trying to make sure I am getting maximum utilization on my drives. Right now when I am running say an NDMP backup it takes a whole storage unit (2 drives) even though it is only using 1 of them.

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
You can create multiple storage units using the same drives but keep in mind, more storage units may increase your initial media usage.

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6

Brian Hesseling wrote:
NDMP backup it takes a whole storage unit (2 drives) even though it is only using 1 of them.

I'm not too sure whether this is how NDMP work on storage unit but you can create a new storage unit with single drive (without changing your existing one) and assign this newly created storage unit to NDMP backup. In short, drives in storage units can be "overlap".  

Brian_Hesseling
Level 3
so they can overlap in both storage units and storage units can overlap in storage groups?