cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different volume pools for single SQL backup policy... is it possible?

blooney
Level 3
All,

I'm the newbie here!  :o I currently have a policy that runs everyday backing up my MS-SQL databases.  I am attempting to set the policy schedule to have an 8-week retention (daily offsite) and a 1-yr retention (monthly offsite).  I would like to have both jobs backup to different volume pools but the option to select this is grayed out.  I am running NetBackup 6.0 w/Maint Pack 4.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Message Edited by blooney on 06-28-200702:55 PM

7 REPLIES 7

Stumpr2
Level 6
Are you using Netbackup to backup the SQL database or are the dbadmins backing the database up to a ddisk area that you are then backing up with a system level bakup?

blooney
Level 3
I am using the NetBackups MS SQL Client on each of the SQL servers.  I create the policy through the client (.bch script) and then add the server to a pre-exsisting NetBackup policy that runs nightly, 7-days a week.  I am new to NetBackup, learning as I go.  The current SQL policy pre-dates me.  Currently there are 7 servers attached to this policy.

Stumpr2
Level 6

blooney wrote:
...  I am attempting to set the policy schedule to have an 8-week retention (daily offsite) and a 1-yr retention (monthly offsite). 

Create two policies. 1 that references a batch job for the daily 8 week retention and a second policy that references the monthly 1 year retention. Use differnt volume pools.

blooney
Level 3
Can I utilize the same .bch file for both or would it be best practice to create a different one for each?  By the way, thanks for the info it is much appreciated!

Stumpr2
Level 6
yes, you can.

but I would use separate, just because that's the way I prefer it.

blooney
Level 3
Awesome, thanks a million Bob!  I'll have more posts in the coming weeks so I'm sure we'll run into each other again.  Have a great upcoming 4th!Smiley Happy

Stumpr2
Level 6
you're welcome.
I pray that all will have a fun yet safe 4th of July.
Even the chaps across the pond :)