cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Netbackup 8.0 Master server backs up windows 2003 machine with 5.1 client agnet

chethan2365
Level 3

Hi Team,

I am planning to upgrade my Solaris master server to 8.0 currently running 7.7.3, all my windows 2003 machines are running 5.1 client agent and backups are completing fine. I don't have 2003 test machine to check backup functionality ,I need to know whether my 2003 windows clientsworks with 8.0 master

11 REPLIES 11

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

neither 7.7.x Master nor 8.0 Masters are supported with 5.x clients. You are lucky when it is working (BTW is it working for restores, too?).

Upgrade 2003 clients to 7.6.1 which is:

- last client version supported with Windows 2003

- supported with 8.0 Master

Regards

Michal

Anshu_Pathak
Level 5

NetBackup 8.x uses PBX for communication and 5.1 does not have PBX, another thing to note is, client connect options have been depricated hence backups will fail.

HI Michal,

Thanks for the suggestions, we never tried restore on 5.1 agent and we will try installing 7.6.1 client agent hopefully will have successful back up with 8.0 master.

Does  7.7.3 also uses PBX ? backups are workign for 5.1 client agent with 7.7.3 master

7.7.3 uses PBX but also allows connect options to directly use BPCD. Conncet options are depricated in 8.x hence it needs PBX on client.

Hi Anshu,

Thanks for the inputs , can you please confirm from which netbackup version veritas started using PBX so that I can use those versions for legacy operating systems 

Marianne
NBU 7.0.1 started using PBX on clients. Please install the latest version of NBU that supports your legacy OS's.

Hi Marianne,

We have many clients with Windows 2000,Windows 2003 ,Solaris 6/7/8/9/10 and RedHat Linux 6. I wanted to know the latest netbackup release which support these operating systems.

Krutons
   VIP   

@chethan2365 That can rely on several things. What's the CPU architecture of the OS's? Is it the Windows 2003 Server SP1 or R2? I think it would be better if you revied the Software Compatability Guides that NetBackup releases. If you have any questions about that info, we would be more than willing to help you.

Here is the 7.0 - 7.6.x Compatibility Guide.
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000040842.

Marianne
I doubt that OS's such as W2000 or Sol 6 or 7 is going to be supported by anything post 7.x.
They are 10-20 years old.
Even finding pre-7.x compatibility lists will be a challenge.

I can hardly believe that anyone in the world would still use these old systems in a production environment.

Just consider yourself lucky if backups and restores are working.

Hi Krutons,

Thanks for the reply we have both 32 bit nd 64 bit architecture with different  SP. However earlier I had a look on the below guide.

Here is the 7.0 - 7.6.x Compatibility Guide.
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.00004084

I am hoping that backup should work after upgrading master to 8.0,  if backups start to fail for the client agents 4.5 and 5.1 , I will try moving all these client agents to last supported release of the resepective OS from veritas.