Have you tried restoring everything, or at least looking at the BAR GUI or bplist to see if you could. The problem we have here is that the backups run fine, error code 0, the logs files on the Celerra and Netbackup show no errors. When I went to do a restore of a high level directory, it was empty. I wrote a quick and dirty perl script to check other directories and found 40 in the same condition. The script only check the highest level and I have, by hit and miss, found lower levels directories that were missing as well. EMC and Symantec have been working on this for over a week, with no fix yet. I highly recommend you try several restores just to be sure. You don't actually have to restore the data, just see if it is available in the GUI or use bplist.