cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ejecting Media from Different Volume Groups

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

We have a Robot accessing both LTO2 and LTO3 media and drives. I have sepperated the LTO2 and LTO3 media into different Media Types(HCART2 and HCART3). I am wondering if there is a way to eject media from different groups within the same robot in one motion. The reason is I often find myself attempting to eject the max number of media and only getting half or even less. It is taking up quite a bit of my time to go back and export the other group. I have tried to eject from the "Volume Group" section and while this works most times occasionally I will not have a full load from either and it will still take two exports to eject the same ammount of media.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

I've *finally* had the opportunity to test this.

Unfortunately, we only have HCART3 media & drives in our library so I had to wait for jobs to finish to allow me to change one media & one drive to HCART.

Following this & an eject/re-inject of the HCART media I had two separate volume groups within my one library.

Now to the eject:

Highlighting one HCART3 media & the HCART I 'created' earlier I right-click & "Eject Volume From Robot ..."

This results in the usual "Eject Volumes" window but it only had the HCART3 media in the list (i.e. the first volume group (000_00001_TLD). So I click to eject anyway.

Now I have a *feeling* that this is where you're possibly going 'wrong'.

When the next window pops up saying "Do you wish to continue with the eject?" select "No". Contrarily, this does continue with the eject (but that's another story, covered in one or two other posts some time ago - if I find it & you're interested I'll post later).

Once this has refreshed the media list etc it then goes on to eject the volume(s) from the next volume group (i.e. my second, newly created volume group 001_00001_TLD).

At this point you can say "No" again to the "Continue with eject?" prompt and go to the MAP/CAP when you've got the time & physically remove the media.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Just one robot, so:

In GUI under Media & Device Management/Media/Robots/your_robot (this is *all* the media in your library), highlight the media you want to eject, <right-click>, "Eject Volume From Robot...".

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

Yes however when the media list I select contains both LTO2 and LTO3 tapes it will only give me one or the other. If I select only media with the same Media Type it will allow me to eject them all.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Been a while since I had 2 types of media on the go, let alone together in a library, but never come across such a restraint.

Surely the type of media shouldn't have any bearing on your ability to eject it? If it does (by design or otherwise) that's just ..... wrong.

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

I believe it has more to do with the fact that they belong to different volume groups. That is how I have been sepperating them so that they are utalized by the drives correctly.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

I've *finally* had the opportunity to test this.

Unfortunately, we only have HCART3 media & drives in our library so I had to wait for jobs to finish to allow me to change one media & one drive to HCART.

Following this & an eject/re-inject of the HCART media I had two separate volume groups within my one library.

Now to the eject:

Highlighting one HCART3 media & the HCART I 'created' earlier I right-click & "Eject Volume From Robot ..."

This results in the usual "Eject Volumes" window but it only had the HCART3 media in the list (i.e. the first volume group (000_00001_TLD). So I click to eject anyway.

Now I have a *feeling* that this is where you're possibly going 'wrong'.

When the next window pops up saying "Do you wish to continue with the eject?" select "No". Contrarily, this does continue with the eject (but that's another story, covered in one or two other posts some time ago - if I find it & you're interested I'll post later).

Once this has refreshed the media list etc it then goes on to eject the volume(s) from the next volume group (i.e. my second, newly created volume group 001_00001_TLD).

At this point you can say "No" again to the "Continue with eject?" prompt and go to the MAP/CAP when you've got the time & physically remove the media.

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

Yes I've tried that as well, however because there is media already in the MAP/CAP you will only be able to eject the first load untill you can physically remove them and continue with the second half of the export. Since I try to get an export running from the office before making the 20 min drive to our datacenter it still cuts down on efficiency. This is really just about making my time spent in the datacenter as efficient and fast as possible. But thank you for taking the time to test that for me!

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

yes it does *warn* you that there are media in the MAP/CAP but you *can* still continue with the second (& any subsequent) eject(s).

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

Oh you know I've never tried to push the second one. I'll try that today and make sure it works.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

as it's under the tab that says "Errors".

Now '"Errors" to me means that something's wrong & therefore won't work - don't know how long I went ejecting piece-meal & back & forth to the library before I actually decided to ignore these "Errors" !!

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

I was able to test this today! It does in fact work! Thank you for all of the time you will save me! I guess errors arn't always what theyre cracked up to be.