cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 6 Transport status 23

Arnold1989
Level 3

Please i have this error about policy who have many VMs and the job succeed with some vms and failed with others VMs who are included in the same Vcenter and share the same LUN datastore provided from SAN.

Need your help about this issuer 

18 REPLIES 18

X2
   VIP   

@Arnold1989  You need to give details of your environment. E.g. NetBackup version, master isappliance or custom built host (OS version), backup host version, ESXi version. Are you using SAN connectivity? or just network?

If some VMs are being backed up successfully, I'm assuming that network connectivity between NetBackup and vCenter is working fine.

Have you checked this KB? If it does not help, enable vxms logs and try backup again and post back with results and logs.

Also, when troubleshooting VMware VIP backups, it is a good idea to use just a single transport mode (the one which you expect to work normally). This way you will know if that mode works or not.

Hello @X2, thank you for your feeback

Find all information about environment : 

- NetBackup version : 8.0

- Master is custom built host (OS version  : Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.4 (Santiago) )

- backup host version : Netbackup Media 8.0

- ESXi version : 6.0.

- Are you using SAN connectivity? or just network? : All LUN datastore on Vcenter are provided via SAN but VMWare Backup Host (Media) is connected to Vcenter via ip network and the media is connected to DataDomain(storage unit) via FC(SAN). 

Let me enable vxms logs and try backup ans come to you with results and logs

What transport method is being used? NBD or SAN?

Did you follow the link that was provided in another post?

Hello @L_BR the transport mode is NBD.

I have follow this link but the directory /tmp/vmware-root don't contain file in Media Server

Regards

Hello @X2 

Find attach the vxms log file as requested.

Regards

X2
   VIP   

@Arnold1989 The log shows failure to connect to guest using either SAN, nbd, hotadd or nbdssl.

Can you try again using only nbd (check on nbd in VIP VMware tab) and vxms logs at verbose=3?

Hello @X2 

I have the same error after i put only NBD mode transport.

Regards

X2
   VIP   

If your NBD transport mode is not working, you need to investigate communication between the backup host and the VMware environment.

Also, use information on the topic would be:

1. when did this issue occur the first time?
  2. what changed at that time or just before it to have caused it?
  3. are your other VIP backups working normally?

If you (or your network or information security team) can answer the above, it might indicate where to look at for resolution of the issue.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Arnold1989 

The vxms logging level is unfortunately too low. 
Please increase logging level as suggested by @X2 and post the log after the next failure.

If backups are working fine for other vm's on the same datastore, we can rule out connectivity issues.
Have you tried to find out what is 'different' about these failing vm's?

Did you configure Resource Limits for VMware backups?
If too many simultaneous backups are taken from the same datastore, it could cause performance or even comms timeout.
Maybe a good idea to monitor vCenter logs while the backups are running.

Hello @Marianne 

Find attach the screenshot about configuration Ressource Limit.

The configuration about vxms_verbose = "3" as in the screenshot

Marianne

Level 3 logging might be too low.

See this doc:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100022695

For possible VDDK issues:
VXMS_VERBOSE = 5

For Mapping issues during the VMware Backup, use:
VXMS_VERBOSE = 8

Note: VXMS_VERBOSE = 8 will slow down backups and restore operations.

Hello @Marianne 

I have changed value of VxMS to 8 and find attach the file logs after test manual backup.

Regards

Another File attach

X2
   VIP   

I see connectivity issues, is port 902 open..... resolve these first and try again.

03/18/2021 10:58:59 : g_vixInterfaceLogger:libvix.cpp:1800 <DEBUG> : [VFM_ESINFO] Cnx_Connect: Error message: Failed to connect to server esxi-ess-ndg-svr04.adcm.orangecm:902

03/18/2021 10:58:59 : g_vixInterfaceLogger:libvix.cpp:1804 <DEBUG> : [VFM_ESWARN] [NFC ERROR] NfcNewAuthdConnectionEx: Failed to connect to peer. Error: Failed to connect to server esxi-ess-ndg-svr04.adcm.orangecm:902

03/18/2021 10:58:59 : g_vixInterfaceLogger:libvix.cpp:1800 <DEBUG> : [VFM_ESINFO] NBD_ClientOpen: Couldn't connect to esxi-ess-ndg-svr04.adcm.orangecm:902 Failed to connect to server esxi-ess-ndg-svr04.adcm.orangecm:902

03/18/2021 10:58:59 : g_vixInterfaceLogger:libvix.cpp:1800 <DEBUG> : [VFM_ESINFO] VixDiskLib: Unable to locate appropriate transport mode to open disk. Error 13 (You do not have access rights to this file) at 4570.

Marianne

I saw the same as @X2 :

03/18/2021 11:22:07 : g_vixInterfaceLogger:libvix.cpp:1800 <DEBUG> : [VFM_ESINFO] VixDiskLib: VixDiskLib_Open: Cannot open disk [vmax_250_Exchange_dst_01] NDBSVR-DC01/NDBSVR-DC01.vmdk. Error 13 (You do not have access rights to this file) at 4718.

03/18/2021 11:22:07 : vdOpen:VixInterface.cpp:440 <DEBUG> : Done with Open(): 0
03/18/2021 11:22:07 : vdOpen:VixInterface.cpp:464 <WARN> : Open() error: 13
03/18/2021 11:22:07 : openLeafSnapshotDisks:VixGuest.cpp:468 <DEBUG> : vdOpen() error = 13. Calling closeLeafSnapshotDisks()
03/18/2021 11:22:07 : log:Error.cpp:249 <WARN> : Error: 0x00000017 occured in file ../VixGuest.cpp, at line 605
03/18/2021 11:22:07 : log:Error.cpp:249 <WARN> : Error: 0x00000017 occured in file ../VixGuest.cpp, at line 605
03/18/2021 11:22:07 : vixMapObjCtl:VixCoordinator.cpp:964 <WARN> : Returning: 23
03/18/2021 11:22:07 : hv_vmware_map_objctl:libvix.cpp:1168 <WARN> : Returning: 23

You need to read NBU documentation about rights needed for backups and ensure that the user account added to NBU has all of the rights that are required.

Hello @Marianne @X2 

sorry for my late reply I was a little unwell, but the tracks indicated were good and I was able to make backups of these VMs. The problem arose in the communication between the media and the ESXi, when I change to the media that communicates with the ESXi, the backups are performed. I have one last question: in the principle of operation of Netbackup, the media or the backup hosts must absolutely communicate with the ESXis as long as I integrate the Vcenter in my configurations?

Marianne

@Arnold1989 

For nbd transport, the answer is YES, the media or the backup hosts must absolutely communicate with the ESXi server(s).

Please see these Articles:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100030882

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100011419

Hello @Marianne 

Thanks for your help and the links it's very help and i ask my network team to open trafics on firewall between Media and ESXis