cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error while Exchange Backup

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited
I am able to successfully backup of Exchange information Store via Netbackup Policy
BUT
i have another policy of exchange by which i am trying to backup of Microsoft Exchange MailBoxes but i am not able to successfully backup :(...... i also attached the pixs of Netbackup policy which i made for backup of Microsoft Exchange MailBoxes :(

6/24/2009 1:25:17 PM - requesting resource Exchange
6/24/2009 1:25:17 PM - requesting resource tpsbkp.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.exchange
6/24/2009 1:25:17 PM - requesting resource tpsbkp.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.Exchange-MailBoxes
6/24/2009 1:25:17 PM - granted resource tpsbkp.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.exchange
6/24/2009 1:25:17 PM - granted resource tpsbkp.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.Exchange-MailBoxes
6/24/2009 1:25:17 PM - granted resource MediaID=@aaaa2;Path=E:\Netbackup\Exchange;MediaServer=tpsbkp
6/24/2009 1:25:17 PM - granted resource Exchange
6/24/2009 1:25:17 PM - estimated 0 kbytes needed
6/24/2009 1:25:18 PM - started process bpbrm (316)
6/24/2009 1:25:29 PM - Warning bpbrm(pid=316) from client exchange: WRN - unable to successfully enumerate folder: Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\
6/24/2009 1:25:29 PM - Warning bpbrm(pid=316) from client exchange: WRN - unable to successfully enumerate folder: Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\
6/24/2009 1:25:23 PM - connecting
6/24/2009 1:25:28 PM - connected; connect time: 00:00:05
6/24/2009 1:25:30 PM - Error bpbrm(pid=316) could not send server status message
6/24/2009 1:25:37 PM - end writing
none of the files in the file list exist(71)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I came across this tech note for status code 71.

not sure whether this is related to this...

An incorrect directive or permissions issues are usually the cause of a Status 71 on Microsoft Exchange
Server backup.

Common causes for Status Code 71 on Exchange backups are:

• Mailbox Backup not Configured
An Exchange Mailbox backup with the directive Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\ fails
because the host is not configured for mailbox level backups. The NetBackup Client Service on
the Exchange Server must be running as an Exchange Full Administrator account and the
corresponding display name must be configured in the NetBackup Administration Consoles Hosts
Properties for that Exchange Client. See the Veritas NetBackup for Microsoft Exchange Server
System Administrator’s Guide for more details on configuring mailbox level backups

• Storage Group Name Incorrectly Entered
A database backup of an Exchange server using the directive Microsoft Information
Store:\Storage Group Name fails because the Storage Group Name entered does not match
the name on the Exchange server. Verify the storage group name in the policy exactly matches
the name of the Storage Group on the Exchange server.

• Attempting to Backup Using a Backup Network Name
In order for the NetBackup for Microsoft Exchange Server extension to correctly call the
Exchange backup API, the Client Name specified in the policy must be the host name of the
Exchange server, or the virtual server name, if using Microsoft Cluster Server.

For further reading -
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/278505.pdf

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified
Check this troubleshooter:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/276763

Zahid_Haseeb
1st thanks for kind reply.
Dear as per your related link the below lines which i BOLD are saying that i have to send email to the mailbox which have not been used. just send email to that mailBox and thn take backup. i have around 100 mailBoxes how can i recognized that the particular mailBox is empty

Status Code 69 or Status Code 71:
Mailbox backups fail with a status code 69 or 71 because of a limited number of reasons:

* The user has incorrectly specified the files list. The files list Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\ allows the backup to capture all mailboxes. Wildcard options such as Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\[a-m]* and Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\[n-z]* allow the backup of different subsets of the mailboxes. Please refer to the NetBackup Exchange System Administrator's Guide for more information on the use of wildcards.
* If the backups have never worked, it is possible the mailbox created for mailbox backups was not properly initialized. To initialize the mailbox, please send the mailbox an email, and retry the backup.
* If the mailbox backups had previously worked, but recently stopped, confirm the mailbox used by NetBackup is not hidden. If the mailbox used by NetBackup is hidden, backups fail with a status 69 or 71.

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I came across this tech note for status code 71.

not sure whether this is related to this...

An incorrect directive or permissions issues are usually the cause of a Status 71 on Microsoft Exchange
Server backup.

Common causes for Status Code 71 on Exchange backups are:

• Mailbox Backup not Configured
An Exchange Mailbox backup with the directive Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\ fails
because the host is not configured for mailbox level backups. The NetBackup Client Service on
the Exchange Server must be running as an Exchange Full Administrator account and the
corresponding display name must be configured in the NetBackup Administration Consoles Hosts
Properties for that Exchange Client. See the Veritas NetBackup for Microsoft Exchange Server
System Administrator’s Guide for more details on configuring mailbox level backups

• Storage Group Name Incorrectly Entered
A database backup of an Exchange server using the directive Microsoft Information
Store:\Storage Group Name fails because the Storage Group Name entered does not match
the name on the Exchange server. Verify the storage group name in the policy exactly matches
the name of the Storage Group on the Exchange server.

• Attempting to Backup Using a Backup Network Name
In order for the NetBackup for Microsoft Exchange Server extension to correctly call the
Exchange backup API, the Client Name specified in the policy must be the host name of the
Exchange server, or the virtual server name, if using Microsoft Cluster Server.

For further reading -
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/278505.pdf

Zahid_Haseeb
i dont know why the below solution worked even i am loging windows(Exchange Server) as administrator
At client machine (Exchange Server) i ran the Netbackup Client Service under administrator rights in the Log on TAB-->This Account

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified
Thanks for the feedback......

Will_Restore
Level 6
applicable technote: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/245184.htm

Go to Start | Programs | Administrative Tools | Services, find the NetBackup Client Service and select the Log On tab from the properties of the NetBackup Client Services to access this account