cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Database entries

David_Grindrod
Level 2
Does anyone know how to remove entries such as below from the globDB on NetBackup 4.5. Have tried everything but cannot get rid of them. Do not want to re-create the globDB due to the large number of servers connected to the master server. Just want to remove these entries so I Can sync drives correctly.

drive - 1110065274 -
6 REPLIES 6

James_Lehman
Level 2
David have you tried using the vmglob command? Here is the usage section for the choice that seems appropriate for you.

vmglob -delete -drive|-optical -drvtype
-serial -name

David_Grindrod
Level 2
I have tried most possible versions of vmglob commands to try and delete the option. The problem is the devhost is - and also the name. Although the command seems to exit okay it does not delete the entry.

David

Bhaskar_Regmi
Level 3
Following procedure can help cleaning corrupted globeDB.

1. Close the Netbackup console (Admin GUI)
2. On master server run the following

%installpath%\Volmgr\bin\vmglob -delete

3. On master server run-

%installpath%\Volmgr\bin\tpautoconf -upgrade

4. On each media server run-

%installpath%\Volmgr\bin\tpautoconf -upgrade

These steps will delete and then rebuild the global device database.

Before proceeding these steps, please make sure all the master server and media server can query Tape drives and get drive serial number. Run the following to verify:

%installpath%\Volmgr\bin\tpautoconf -t

This should list all the drive with theri serial number

Hope it might help. Have fun

Bhaskar

David_Grindrod
Level 2
I have heard from Veritas that it is not possible to remove these entries (without device host and drive name in even with a hex editor). The only way to clean them up is rebuild the database from scratch. Not really satisfactory but then the whole globDB set-up is not satisfactory.

Bhaskar_Regmi
Level 3
The procedure I mentioned above is actually building the globDB from scratch. I am assuming your master server is a gdb_host as well.

Bhaskar

David_Grindrod
Level 2
Just as a summary there seems no way to edit these entries out. Only to re-cerate the database. Definitely not optimum and confirmed by Symantec.

Just thought it was worth posting this in case anyone else has an environment with a large number of media servers not all of which can be accessed via a login.

I wrote a script which automatically generated the servers (from bp.conf/vm.conf and vmglob -listall -b) and sorted for unique names and then gave the command vmoprcmd -h $SERVER -autoconfig -sync after the original global database has been deleted with vmglob -delete. This seems to work okay even on large master servers. It does assume however that the global database host is the master server.

I cannot supply the script but the procedure to write it should be obvious from the method described above.

David