cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello

Carlos_V
Level 6

I'll like to know about testing and certification backup recovery. Exist an metodology with NetBackup?

Thanks for your help.

Regards...

10 REPLIES 10

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

Need.... more... information.... :)

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Carlos

See if this helps:

Go to http://www.symantec.com/business/training/index.jsp

On the left you will see a link called 'Certification Program'.

Carlos_V
Level 6

I talking about how do I do recovery testing. I talk about certify backups and testing restoration, such as recovering SQL, Oracle, SharePoint, etc...

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

Setup the same platform as before and run a restore.

Take for example the exchange guide and follow the restore procedure.

Marianne
Level 6

Thanks for clarification, Carlos.

The only way to really verify/certify your backups is by doing restores as Pikachu pointed out.

Think of a backup administrator as a fire fighter who only knows that he can put out a fire if regular fire drills are done... You only know that your backups are good if you can restore.

If your company is serious about backup verification, management need to provide you with sufficient hardware to enable regular restore tests.

Carlos_V
Level 6

Thank you, but I was thinking about some strategy. In my company some people require verify the backup to ensure the data are 100% recoverable, we have to create documentation about the steps to follow and duration statistics.

Thank you both for your comments.

Regards..

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

... and that is what your job is. You are responsible of creating those DR docs.

Marianne
Level 6

Documentation is something you can only create while you are performing tests. Duration can only be determined once testing is completed.

As pikachu pointed out, your basic documentation can start with copy & paste from the restore section of the relevant agent guide. Fine-tune them with specifics for your environment as you go along. Take screenshots during the process and add explanation for each pic.

Carlos_V
Level 6

Yes it is.

Carlos_V
Level 6

Thanks for u recomentation.