cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore Archive logs of Oracle Database in Solaris

Sandeep_Sawant
Level 4
Dear All,

I had taken a User Initiated backup of Archive Logs of Oracle Database which was completed sucessfully. But i cant restore those archive logs as it was not showing in retore database of Netbackup.

So can anyone helpme for this?

Thanks & Regards,

Sandeep Sawant.
10 REPLIES 10

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Hi Sandeep,

What policy type did you specify with the "-t" switch on your bpbackup command on the client?  And what policy type are you selecting in either your bprestore command or in the GUI?

Regards,
Dave.

Sandeep_Sawant
Level 4
From the GUI of Netbackup Client.

sdo
Okay, but which "policy type" are you using for the backup and for the restore?

Stumpr2
Level 6
Did you use rman to take the archive backup?

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified
I to think you just need to select "user archive" and not just "user" as the backup type or whatever.

Please post your resolution, thanks.

Sandeep_Sawant
Level 4
Dear All,

Below is the procedure how i backup Archive log:

1) I log in client machine as root.

2)The i run Netbackup client GUI interface by the command " ./usr/openv/netbackup/bin/jnbSA "

3) There it shows me Oracle Database name along with it shows me Tables, Datafiles & Archive Logs.

4) From that i only select Archive Logs and start the Backup.

Thanks & Regards,

Sandeep

Sandeep_Sawant
Level 4
Dear All?

Can anyone pls help me?

Thanks & regards,

Sandeep

sdo
In the "Backup, Archive and Restore" GUI, on the far right, about an inch below the top of the screen, you will see a little "finger" button - click that - another window will open named "Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type" - click on the second tab named "Source client/Policy Type" - then at the bottom left, you will see the "Policy type:", click on that - and a list box opens - are there any Oracle-ish policy types?

Sandeep_Sawant
Level 4
Yes, there is a Oracle policy option.

Actually i can restore Datafiles & Table but i cant restore Archivelogs which i had backedup.

Thanks & Regards,

Sandeep

sdo
How many different Oracle type policies were there in the list of policy types?
Did you try them all?
And, for each policy type did you set the "start date" early enough to cover the date range you require?

I can't really offer much more than that, as I have no experience of Oracle backups/restores.

You could try this link, re: "Can the Oracle Wizard be used to restore only archive log files?"
This link above has further links to the Oracle Sys Admin guides for v5.x and v6.0 for both Unix and Windows.

The link above states:

As indicated in the NetBackup Oracle System Administrator's Guides, "The NetBackup for Oracle Backup Wizard does not support all of the RMAN commands and options provided by Oracle. A shell script should be written if a template does not provide all of the required functionality."  Among the options not supported is the explicit restore of archive log files.  They are restored as needed during a database recovery.  

Consult Oracle Support for assistance developing an RMAN script which can be used to restore only the archive log files.

Message Edited by David Rawson on 07-14-200711:54 AM

Message Edited by David Rawson on 07-14-200711:54 AM