Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Hyper-V policy restore error (2821)

J_Huggins
Level 6
Partner

Hi all, Seeking for you help :(

Encountered the said issue just like on the subject. However we can open the restored virtual machine and all of the data are also restored. I am wondering why I am having this issue? What is the meaning of that? Since the restored Virtual Machine are running?

Setup: Hyper-V 1 with Virtual Machine and restored that VM on another Hyper-V which is our second Hyper-V. I think the restoration are successful but we encountered the said issue.

We are using NBU 7.6.0.4 (Master, Media and Client)

Kindly see attached photo to see the detailed status.

Thank you so much!

Regards, Jonas

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Thiago_Ribeiro
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi @J_Huggins,

I found this notes about Hyper-V restores, from Admin guide 7.6, can you check if some of these situatios can be applied to your case?? Is this restore a full restore right?

Notes on full virtual machine restore

β–  A backup of the full virtual machine can be restored only to Windows Server2008 or later with the Hyper-V role enabled.

β–  By default, the NetBackup client on the Hyper-V server does not have Windows Administrator privileges. You can restore a full virtual machine from the NetBackup server. You cannot restore a full virtual machine from a NetBackup
client that does not have Administrator privileges.

β–  For the virtual machines that are configured in a volume GUID with a differencing disk in another volume GUID, redirected restores are not supported.

β–  When you restore the virtual machine to its original location with the Overwrite virtual machine option, note: The same virtual machine on the Hyper-V server is automatically turned off and deleted before the restore. The .vhd or .vhdx files
of the virtual machine on the Hyper-V server are overwritten by the .vhd or .vhdx files from the backup image. If any new .vhd or .vhdx files were created after the backup, those files are not removed.

β–  When you restore the virtual machine to a different location on the original Hyper-V server or to a different server, note: The same virtual machine (if it exists) on the Hyper-V server is automatically turned off and deleted before the restore if you choose the Overwrite virtual machine option. The .vhd or .vhdx files of the deleted virtual machine, however, are not deleted. You must delete those files.

β–  When you restore the virtual machine to a Hyper-V server that has a virtual machine of the same GUID, you must select the Overwrite virtual machine option. Otherwise, the restore fails.

β–  If you restore a virtual machine without the Overwrite virtual machine option, note: You must remove the current virtual machine and its .vhd or .vhdx files from the destination server before you start the restore. If you remove the virtual
machine but leave one or more of its .vhd or .vhdx files on the destination server, the .vhd or .vhdx files from the backup are not restored.

β–  (This item is a limitation in VSS and the Hyper-V writer, not in NetBackup.) If the virtual machine contains Hyper-V snapshot files (.avhd or .avhdx files), NetBackup cannot restore the virtual machine to a different location or to a
different Hyper-V server.

Note the following:

β–  This issue has been fixed in Windows Server 2008 R2 (restore server).

β–  This restriction does not apply in either of the following cases: When you restore the virtual machine to its original location on the original Hyper-V server, or when you restore to a staging location. Note that NetBackup does not create Hyper-V snapshot files (.avhd or .avhdx).

β–  (This item is a limitation in VSS, not in NetBackup.) Immediately after a full virtual machine is restored, the virtual machine volume may be larger than it was when the virtual machine was backed up. The increase is normal: After the restore, snapshot-related cache files remain on the volume. After about 20 minutes, the cache files are automatically removed and the volume returns to its original size

Note: A new backup of the restored virtual machine could fail if the virtual machine volume contains insufficient space to create a snapshot for the backup. According to Microsoft, this situation should not occur as long as the virtual machine volume has at least 10 to 15% free space.

β–  In the following case a race condition may result:

β–  You attempt to do a full restore of two virtual machines at the same time.

β–  The two virtual machines also share a virtual hard disk (.vhd or .vhdx file) that both restore jobs have selected to restore. The two jobs may simultaneously attempt to access the same .vhd or .vhdx file, but only one job gains access to the file. The other job is denied access, and that job may fail with error code 185.

β–  If you restore a virtual machine to a different Hyper-V server, note: The original Hyper-V server and the target server must have the same number of network adapters (NICs). You must configure the network adapter(s) for the restored
virtual machine on the target server.

β–  Windows Hyper-V provides no mechanism for quiescing file system activity on Linux virtual machines. Therefore, at the time of backup, a snapshot of a Linux virtual machine may be in an inconsistent state (crash-consistent). Note that
the backup succeeds. For restore of inconsistent Linux files from the backup, NetBackup creates a NetBackup.lost+found directory for each Linux volume.

Regards,

Thiago

View solution in original post

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
23 REPLIES 23

Marianne
Level 6
It is always easier when you post text output instead of screenshots.

See if this TN applies to your issue:
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000025263

HI Marianne,

Pardon for that. Btw thank you for your respond.

So the TN says, all of the backup files need to be selected on Backup Selection Tab?

Regards,

Jonas

Marianne
Level 6
The TN says all .vhd/.vhdx must be selected for restore.

Hi Marianne,

Sorry I forgot to tell that my Hyper-V server is Windows Server 2008 R2, is the .vhd and .vhdx are already available on that Windows Version?

Thanks and Best Regards!

Jonas

Marianne
Level 6

Yes. .vhd and .vhdx files are available on W2008  Hyper-V.

Please see the NetBackup for Hyper-V Administrator's Guide 

You can search for .vhd and see how it relates to VMs on Hyper-V servers and backup/restore.

Hi Marianne,

Done reading some important details about that guide, thank you so much.

Also saw on that guide which is in my case just like what you've mention before, all of the .vhd and .vhdx must be selected to be backup.

FYI: All of the checkbox are already checked before I start the restoration. So meaning I followed to backup all the .vhd and .vhdx. (See screenshot) That's why I am wondering why I still encountering that issue, though the restored virtual machine are aleady running. There's a little bit confusing hehehe.

Thanks and Best Regards!

Jonas

Hi Marianne,

Good morning! As per checking all of my .vhd and .vhdx are selected for backup. Is there any possible answer why I am getting this kind of error after restoration?

Thanks and Best Regards!

Jonas

Marianne
Level 6

Seems we keep on misunderstanding each other.

The TN says that all .vhd and .vhdx must be selected for restore.

Best to log a Support call with Veritas.
They should be able to determine through a WebEx call where the problem is.

Hi @Marianne,

Sorry for that I mean restore not backup, kindly see attached file to see that I selected all the .vhd and .vhdx for restoration. I cannot file a ticket because we are already EOL, thats why I am reaching you using this portal. :(

On the screenshot as you can see there's no check on the checkbox but we have to check that already.

Thanks and Best Regards!

Jonas

Thiago_Ribeiro

Hi,

Is this restore working before? Or is this the first alternate restore?

If its the first time, take a look this TN

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.v121765303_nbu_hyperv_web

Regards,

Thiago

Hi @Thiago_Ribeiro

Yes, this is the first alternate restore. Will view that TN to review then will get back to you.

Thank you so much!

Regards,

Jonas

HI @Thiago_Ribeiro

Just saw the TN a while ago, and I saw this "For restore to an alternate location, NetBackup 8.0 adds new restore features for VMs that were backed up with the WMI method:"

Is this only for NetBackup 8.0 or this is also applicable for NetBackup 7.6.0.4? Because we are using NBU 7.6.0.4

Please advise.

Thank you and Best Regards!

Jonas

Marianne
Level 6

@J_Huggins

NBU 7.6.x ran out of support the beginning of this year. You are going to battle to find documentation unless you look in 7.6 manuals.

I would guess it is worth a try...

Hi Marianne,

Thank you so much for your feedback. Well I think we should have to try what the TN's says.

I am on leave starting tomorrow until Monday, so I think I will give a feedback on Tuesday.

Thanks again @Marianne and @Thiago_Ribeiro for your support.

Best Regards,

Jonas

The backups with WMI method was only implemented in NB 8.0 and only applies to Hyper-V 2016.

Marianne
Level 6

Thiago_Ribeiro

Hi,

Its a problem, because you are working with a NBU version anymore supported by Veritas...If were you upgrade asap.

So, If you want I have the NBU 7.6 documentation and I can upload here. let me know if you want.

Regards,

Thiago

Marianne
Level 6
Links to all versions of the manuals can be found in Handy NBU Links in my signature.

Thiago_Ribeiro

Hi @J_Huggins,

I found this notes about Hyper-V restores, from Admin guide 7.6, can you check if some of these situatios can be applied to your case?? Is this restore a full restore right?

Notes on full virtual machine restore

β–  A backup of the full virtual machine can be restored only to Windows Server2008 or later with the Hyper-V role enabled.

β–  By default, the NetBackup client on the Hyper-V server does not have Windows Administrator privileges. You can restore a full virtual machine from the NetBackup server. You cannot restore a full virtual machine from a NetBackup
client that does not have Administrator privileges.

β–  For the virtual machines that are configured in a volume GUID with a differencing disk in another volume GUID, redirected restores are not supported.

β–  When you restore the virtual machine to its original location with the Overwrite virtual machine option, note: The same virtual machine on the Hyper-V server is automatically turned off and deleted before the restore. The .vhd or .vhdx files
of the virtual machine on the Hyper-V server are overwritten by the .vhd or .vhdx files from the backup image. If any new .vhd or .vhdx files were created after the backup, those files are not removed.

β–  When you restore the virtual machine to a different location on the original Hyper-V server or to a different server, note: The same virtual machine (if it exists) on the Hyper-V server is automatically turned off and deleted before the restore if you choose the Overwrite virtual machine option. The .vhd or .vhdx files of the deleted virtual machine, however, are not deleted. You must delete those files.

β–  When you restore the virtual machine to a Hyper-V server that has a virtual machine of the same GUID, you must select the Overwrite virtual machine option. Otherwise, the restore fails.

β–  If you restore a virtual machine without the Overwrite virtual machine option, note: You must remove the current virtual machine and its .vhd or .vhdx files from the destination server before you start the restore. If you remove the virtual
machine but leave one or more of its .vhd or .vhdx files on the destination server, the .vhd or .vhdx files from the backup are not restored.

β–  (This item is a limitation in VSS and the Hyper-V writer, not in NetBackup.) If the virtual machine contains Hyper-V snapshot files (.avhd or .avhdx files), NetBackup cannot restore the virtual machine to a different location or to a
different Hyper-V server.

Note the following:

β–  This issue has been fixed in Windows Server 2008 R2 (restore server).

β–  This restriction does not apply in either of the following cases: When you restore the virtual machine to its original location on the original Hyper-V server, or when you restore to a staging location. Note that NetBackup does not create Hyper-V snapshot files (.avhd or .avhdx).

β–  (This item is a limitation in VSS, not in NetBackup.) Immediately after a full virtual machine is restored, the virtual machine volume may be larger than it was when the virtual machine was backed up. The increase is normal: After the restore, snapshot-related cache files remain on the volume. After about 20 minutes, the cache files are automatically removed and the volume returns to its original size

Note: A new backup of the restored virtual machine could fail if the virtual machine volume contains insufficient space to create a snapshot for the backup. According to Microsoft, this situation should not occur as long as the virtual machine volume has at least 10 to 15% free space.

β–  In the following case a race condition may result:

β–  You attempt to do a full restore of two virtual machines at the same time.

β–  The two virtual machines also share a virtual hard disk (.vhd or .vhdx file) that both restore jobs have selected to restore. The two jobs may simultaneously attempt to access the same .vhd or .vhdx file, but only one job gains access to the file. The other job is denied access, and that job may fail with error code 185.

β–  If you restore a virtual machine to a different Hyper-V server, note: The original Hyper-V server and the target server must have the same number of network adapters (NICs). You must configure the network adapter(s) for the restored
virtual machine on the target server.

β–  Windows Hyper-V provides no mechanism for quiescing file system activity on Linux virtual machines. Therefore, at the time of backup, a snapshot of a Linux virtual machine may be in an inconsistent state (crash-consistent). Note that
the backup succeeds. For restore of inconsistent Linux files from the backup, NetBackup creates a NetBackup.lost+found directory for each Linux volume.

Regards,

Thiago