cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing tapes from different netbackup environment

jguansing
Level 3

i have 2 different netbackup environment for 2 sites, I have a set of tapes coming in from the other site, these tapes are  nbu catalog backup and the other are data backup.

The idea is to have the backup images of the data backup to be imported to the other site fast and readily be available. Is there a way that i can use the nbu catalog backup in order to import those tapes fast instead of doing the 2 phase imports for each of the tapes? or the nbu catalog backup is useless?

12 REPLIES 12

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You can use 'Recovery without Import' method.

Extremely important to add remote tapes to non-backup pool (e.g. RESTORE) to prevent tapes from being overwritten. 

See: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000026322

Use the 'Download attachments' link to download the pdf.

Ok, can i do recovery with the resources that i have, tape containing catalog backup and dr catalog files

Marianne
Level 6

Yes. All is explained in the Recovery Without Import doc.

Only image portion will be recovered and merged with imagedb.

One more thing, this will be a weekly basis, so every week, i have to follow the same procedure?

Marianne
Level 6

will there be an impact if the other one is a netbackup appliance and the other one is not but both running on linux

Marianne
Level 6

Can we assume that the tapes coming from the site with Appliance will all be copy 2 of backup images?
If so, you need to take extra steps to either promote the tapes to primary copy or expire MSDP copy of image or tell NBU to restore from copy 2 (there are TNs available... Google... )

On the other hand - why not setup MSDP pool on the site where you need to import?
MSDP pool on Appliance is exactly the same as MSDP on normal media server.
You can then use AIR to replicate images between sites.
Backup data plus images will be at 2nd site, ready for restore without additional steps.

Due resource constraints, the only option that we have is using the tapes and based from the instructions that you gave, it can be tricky and i dont wanna mess with the prod environment. Unless i do the 2 phase imports for each tape.

I'd like to verify something, do i need to stop nbu services while doing this?

Marianne
Level 6
NBU must be up and running to do partial catalog (images) restore.

Is there any part of the activity that i need to stop nbu services?

Marianne
Level 6
I do not know all the details of the process and do not have the doc handy.
You need to download and read through the doc.