cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impossible to change policy attributes thru bpadm

Harry_Bremer
Level 3
Partner
As a support guy i am only able to connect to AIX systems thru an asynchronous dialup connection and so only can use bpadm. No problem until now. I had to change some policy attibutes on a remote site. I could change the proper item(s), the diplay was correct, but to exit this attribute screen i had to press . I did, but the same screen came back to me; no way to exit (and save the changed info). I had to bpadm and start again. Giving a list of the "changed" policy there appears NO CHANGE. Is this an error in bpadm? If not, what do i have to do to save my changed items in the policy attributes screen?
5 REPLIES 5

Stumpr2
Level 6
Sounds like you should get acquainted with the command lines

VERITAS NetBackup (tm) 5.0 Commands for UNIX
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264255.htm

download the pdf and check out the man page for bpplinfo which is on page 199. It allows you to modify or view policies.

here is the usage
# bpplinfo -help
USAGE: bpplinfo policy_name -L|-l|-U
bpplinfo policy_name -set|-modify

Valid values for policy_type:
Standard Apollo-wbak Oracle Informix-On-BAR
Sybase NetWare DataTools-SQL-BackTrack
MS-Windows-NT OS/2 MS-Exchange-Server
SAP DB2 NDMP FlashBackup AFS Lotus-Notes
FlashBackup-Windows VaultMessage was edited by:
Bob Stump

Harry_Bremer
Level 3
Partner
Thank you for your reaction. I do agree, that, using bpplinfo, my action can be done. However this is a workaround for the inability to perform this thru bpadm. It seems there is a problem with bpadm.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Not only can bpplinfo do this particular job. It will do it faster and easier once you understand the syntax. If you are going to administer NetBackup remotely for any length of time then I highly recommend learning ALL of the command line interfaces available. Many experienced NetBackup administrators rarely use the GUI or bpadm. My earlier post was meant to encourage you concerning the CLI. I know the water is cold at first but once you jump in you will warm up to the power that has been placed into your keyboard. In the meantime, if you must use bpadm then more information will be required.

It could be bpadm, curses, or the terminal emulator. To gather more information, try creating the logfile directory
/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpadm

This is the log for the curses-based bpadm interface program (server-side)

You should probably also set verbose in /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.confMessage was edited by:
Bob Stump

Stumpr2
Level 6
I know that the Commands manual can be a little intimidating so here is another link to a "quick reference guide"

http://eval.veritas.com/downloads/edu/qrg_nbu5x_unix_operations.pdf

Richard_Bannist
Level 5
i used to be a bpadm addict, but over time found it lacking, i've always been a great fan of most things command-line, certainly with administering NetBackup remotely; the many commands available make remote working a breeze, albeit there are a lot of commands!. I must admit i tend to shy away from policy changing via command line as i have goldfish memory and find it easier (ok, lazier!) to pc-anywhere into work and use gui to change policies. But i'll start looking at bpplinfo too..

Rich