cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Initial Seeding for Remote using VMware Backup

adam_p1
Level 2

Hello,

I am having some trouble trying to figure out a process of performing an initial seed. I've looked at a few articles but none specify what needs to be done for my current situation

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH144437

My environment has 15 remote sites and our datacenter. A few of these sites have data in the TB's. For DR purposes we are doing file level backups of VM's using the VMware options. Our server is on 7.7.2. 

Our process is each site has a media server that will make a local backup copy of our file server VM's, it will then duplicate the backup to our datacenter where our master is connected to a storage unit supplied by veritas. I'm trying to figure out how to perform an initial seed on the VM for duplication between media and master. The recommended way of seeding I'm not seeing how this will benifit us as it still requires going over the WAN pipe. Putting the "data" onto a usb drive would be great if I was just backing up data but since I'm backing up a VM I'm not sure what I would put on the USB to ship. I thought about creating a backup locally and then shipping the image and importing it at our datacenter but I'm not seeing any good articles on how that work. 

Would appreciate any help on trying to solve this. As mentioned we are on version 7.7.2

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

When move stuff around in Netbackup, the Netbackup images is usually the thing to move.

In your case:

1 Create a basic disk storage unit with the USB/removal disk

2 Duplicate the netbackup images from the media server dedup pool to the USB/removal disk

3. Ship the USB/removal disk to the datacenter

4 Create a basic disk storage unit with the USB/removal disk

5. Import netbackup images from USB/removal disk in datacenter

6. Duplicate the netbackup images from USB/removal disk to the datacenter media server dedup pool

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

When move stuff around in Netbackup, the Netbackup images is usually the thing to move.

In your case:

1 Create a basic disk storage unit with the USB/removal disk

2 Duplicate the netbackup images from the media server dedup pool to the USB/removal disk

3. Ship the USB/removal disk to the datacenter

4 Create a basic disk storage unit with the USB/removal disk

5. Import netbackup images from USB/removal disk in datacenter

6. Duplicate the netbackup images from USB/removal disk to the datacenter media server dedup pool

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

adam_p1
Level 2

Thank you Michael!

For steps 4, 5, 6 if I may ask a few questions. If you create the basic disk storage unit at the local site then what is the purpose of performing step 4 a 2nd time? 

Also our datacenter is only used for storage so locally we have Client > MSDP -------------- DatacenterMSDP.  Could I not import the backup image to the datacenterMSDP and leave it as is or is step 6 required?

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Step 4 is to have a place in the datacenter to import and duplicate the disk based images from.

In short import updates the Netbackup catalog and duplicate copies the images

All 6 steps are required, actually there should be a step more expiring the images copy on the USB/removal disk after step 3 & 6 so in it comes to 8 steps in all