cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install NetBackup 6.5 client on a Windows 2003 Server cluster

jobiegermano
Level 2

Hi all,

I have searched and searched, but so far have not found a definitive answer to what seems to be a simple question.

"When installing NetBackup 6.5 client on a Windows 2003 Server cluster, does the cluster aware option apply?"

I have seen articles about how to install it without the PBX group, I've seen how to remove the PBX group, I've found articles about how to install the server in a HA clustered option, but I can't seem to get a real confirmation as to if/how/why I should install the client as cluster aware.

Lastly, if you ARE to install on the client, do you need a shared disk, etc. for the PBX group and are there any documents you have found that give Symantec 'approved' instructions for a clustered client.

Thank you all,

Jobie.

2 REPLIES 2

jobiegermano
Level 2

Ok, as I was typing this, one of my collegues spoke to a Symantec support person and appearantly this person says that there is NO REASON for the cluster group to exist on a client only master and media servers that are clustered.

Furthermore, they said that you should NOT follow their own instructions that give you a way to install with installing the PBX group, but instead just install as normal, then delete the groups from Cluster Administrator.

If anyone else has any information about this I would still greatly appreciate it and I hope I've been able to help someone else out there.

AndreaBolongaro
Level 5
Certified

it' is right the second post, that there's no reason for the cluster group to exist.

We have two Win 2003 cluster servers now decommissioned to clients.

Before using it as client we remove all server stuff (sw, cluster group, quorum, robotics). The NB installation is a normal client installation on each node of the cluster. After few days we remove the PBX Cluster Group and resource also, as stated in

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/301776.htm

Hope it helps.

bye

Andrea