cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large restore challenge

danbert73
Level 3

I've been asked to complete a restore of multiple user drives, across multiple servers, over multiple years....I know...sounds like fun, right? Here are my challenges...

1. Generate a list of files to be restored. I have the user list, but they could be on any of 20 different client servers. I was thinking of using bplist to find them, but can't for the life of me get past the dreaded 227 error when I run it from the Master server. Oh, and some of those clients don't exist anymore....just the backups.

- I've tried variations for bplist such as: bplist -S master -C client -t 13 -R c:\pathname on client

2. Use powershell, to take the list from above and generate the restores with the files being directed to another location using bprestore is my guess.

I'm running NBU 7.6.0.1 on W2K8 and my install path is not the default. 

Any help would be really appreciated as this is probably going to take weeks as it is.

21 REPLIES 21

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Well, filtering to just file path occurences will clarify the "count / quantity" of files to be restored.

But for the size of all files to be restored...

...my tip would be to use these two additional switches on the bplist command:

-l -b       wide list, and the date shown is the file backup date

...or:

-l -c      wide list, and the date shown is the file create date

...or:

-l -u      wide list, and the date shown is the file modified date

And so, with a "wide" listing you will also get the file size in bytes, or in K, e.g.:

101      = 101 bytes

202K    = 202 KB

Also, look at using:     -listseconds    on your bplist command.  You'll see what I mean when you spot the differences between using this switch, and not using this switch.

One nice thing about the "wide" listing is the predictable column layout, so... you can still always pull the full file specification, e.g.:

volume:\folder name\subfolder name\my file name.txt

...from about character/position/column 59 or thereabout to end of line.

:)

HTH.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

I think you will definitely end-up needing to use      findstr /v "\\$"      or it's PoSh equivalent, to filter down to only files being restored, because you will most probably NOT be wanting to send a restore request to NetBackup of a folder path - otherwise you may very well end up with a whole bunch of extra trees/folders/sub-folders and files being restored that you will most probably do not want to have restored.