cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC Client in remote location

Bharath_Achar
Level 6

***** Moved to new discussion from https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/compatability-check-installing-netbackup-mac-os  *****

Hi CRZ,

As client is located in a remote place and has upto 1 TB of data to be backed up.

And is being backed over WAN. It would take take several days to weeks.

We need to have this backup to cpmplete within backup window(12hours)

Since we dont have option of deduplication @ client side in MAC OS enivronment.

Please come up with a solution other than seeding that would speed up the remote client backup.

Much appreciated if replied at the earliest.

Regards,

Bharath

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Sorry to say, but my answer is: since you can't back up over the WAN in the window you are allotted, you will have to take it back to the drawing board and either lengthen the window or eliminate the WAN.  (Neither of these solutions is going to make your comrades very happy, I'm sure.)

You didn't hear this from me, but just off the cuff, it seems that the "easiest" and fastest solution may be to invest in an additional drive, hook it up to the Mac you need backed up, and use Time Machine instead of NetBackup.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Bharath_Achar
Level 6

Folks,

Please suggest your IDEAs in resoving this issue.

Regards,

Bharath

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

What speed is your WAN link?

How quickly can you transfer a 1Gb file (for example) to a media server from the client?

Bharath_Achar
Level 6

Hi,

As per the attachment,

WAN bandwidth is 9 MBPS.

But entire bandwidth is not only utilized for bakucp.

Also as this bandwidth is will be used up by some other processes also.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Sorry to say, but my answer is: since you can't back up over the WAN in the window you are allotted, you will have to take it back to the drawing board and either lengthen the window or eliminate the WAN.  (Neither of these solutions is going to make your comrades very happy, I'm sure.)

You didn't hear this from me, but just off the cuff, it seems that the "easiest" and fastest solution may be to invest in an additional drive, hook it up to the Mac you need backed up, and use Time Machine instead of NetBackup.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

I agree with CRZ, even if you could use ALL of the network bandwidth the backup would run over 30 hours at the least!