cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from VTL to DATADOMAIN

HHarini
Level 3
We are using Netbackup 6.5.3 in windows 2003 server. How to migrate/move the backed up data's from VTL to DD690? Please let me know if u need any other information. Please help me.
8 REPLIES 8

Kisad
Level 5
Hi Harini,

You have to backup/duplicate  the existing data on Tapes. After that, its a choice between either you can keep the data on these tapes for a specified period of retention as per your environment or infinity as i have done or you can restore the data from tapes to  DD after migration (quite tiresome & impractical)

HHarini
Level 3

We do not have the Tapes in our Environment.. We have only VTL and DD.

How to migrate from VTL to datadomain(disk) directly ?
Is this possible ?

Kisad
Level 5
Which VTL are you using?

rjrumfelt
Level 6
within your VTL?

I dont think they were mentioning physical tapes.  Every VTL I've used has virtual tapes.  You would need to duplicate the data from the virtual tapes to the storage units you have set up with DD.

HHarini
Level 3
It is DL3D 3000. All are virtual tapes.
I know one method. but it is time consuming process. I have to do for 300 Tapes. duplication takes 4 hours for 1 tape. It is not possible. Duplicantion fails if we do it from the command prompt and if the image spans between multiple tapes.

Process.
1. duplicate data from .
2. expire the tape.(Primary copy) after the successful duplication.
3. Secondary copy will become as a primary automatically.

Is there any other way to do all at once ?

HHarini
Level 3
For rjrumfelt -   It is from VTL( DL3D 3000) to disk(Datadomain DD690).
We need to decommsion  the VTL( DL3D 3000)

teiva-boy
Level 6
Don't forget you need to have Enterprise Disk if you have a Datadomain box, if you dont already have it licensed in Netbackup

Even better if you match that license with the datadomain OST license too.  You can get a  nice performance boost with their new DD Boost software.

Kisad
Level 5
Heres what you consider trying.

1.Check with your vendor if a hardware level replication is possible between your VTL and DD. If yes tht should be the best option to take.
2.You  can have both VTL and DD exist in your environment  together. Keep the VTL going till your existing data on VTL tapes finish their retention period. In case you have some Tapes which  have very long period of  retention, try to duplicate those to DD (this is surely be less time consuming as compared to duplicating all tapes)

I can think of any other way, if you do happen to find a different way do post it here.