cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum NetBackup Version Required For Capacity License Utility

Pek
Level 2

Hi,

We are looking to move to the NB capacity based licensing model and would like to run the Capacity License Utility on our current NB solution (version 6.5).

There are two utilities available 6.5.6 and 7.1, does anyone know for sure if either utility will accurately report on our NB version 6.5, or if we need to upgrade first?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I'm sure it will be fine. But the best way to see is to download, install, and run it.

Pek
Level 2

Thank you for your response, I agree that would be the easiest solution.  Unfortunately this is in a managed environment and I would prefer to be sure before raising a change request with the IT service provider.

The Symantec partner we purchase the licenses through suggested the utility would not work unless we upgraded to 6.5.6 so really I'm after confirmation from anyone who may have tried to use the utility, on their 6.5 environment, to confirm this.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Capacity based license was introduced in NBU 6.5.

Extract from NBU Licensing and Pricing FAQ (dated Dec 2007 - issued to Symantec staff and partners):

General
1. Q. What pricing has changed with NetBackup 6.5 from previous NetBackup versions?
A. NetBackup pricing has been simplified in a couple ways. The number of NetBackup Clients have been
reduced by consolidating features and options into a few simple packages. There is also a new, optional, way for customers to purchase NetBackup Infrastructure (server components) based on capacity, which eliminates the need to count servers, tape drives and the like when purchasing NetBackup.
2. Q. When do these pricing changes go into effect?
A. All pricing changes take effect when NetBackup 6.5 ships to customers.

You REALLY don't want to run on unpatched version of 6.5 - many bug fixes and new features included in subsequent patches.