cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing BCATDRV.dll

IT_North
Level 2

I am struggling with an issue in NetBackup Enterprise v.6.5.3.1

"Unable to obtain the server list from the Enterprise Media Manager server. Database server is down (93)" message appears when I click on NetBackup Management/Reports/Status of Reports.

Under System DSN 'Backup Exec Catalogs' I cannot configure the Catalog Driver, as the message  "The setup routines for the Backup Exec Catalog Driver ODBC driver could not be loaded due to system error code 126."

Is there any relation between the two?

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Which OS (including patch and bit level) on your master server?

Are you running Backup Exec and NetBackup Server software on the same server?

Are you aware of the fact that NBU 6.x is no longer supported?

IT_North
Level 2

Running Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 32-bit

We are running Net Backup only, which is why I was perplexed when I checked the ODBC settings.

I 'inherited' the system and the learning curve is formidable. All the participants in the original configuration have left the company, but I was able to get support from Symantec as late as June of last year.

Yes, this is an OLD version, but we keep it running until we can segue entirely to our NetBackup 3600 Appliance.

Will_Restore
Level 6

As for original question I do not think the two are related & since you are not running BE, I would forget the second problem and concentrate on the first. 

"Unable to obtain the server list from the Enterprise Media Manager server. Database server is down (93)"

Resolution:
Check the free disk space on the EMM Server, on the volume where the EMM database resides.  Increase the available disk space and then run nbdb_admin -start

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH48381

Will_Restore
Level 6

Another possibility

Error

Unable to obtain the server list from the Enterprise Media Manager server.
Database Server is down (93)

Solution

Overview:
In certain circumstances, a master server is setup to use domain accounts for the NetBackup service accounts. If the master server cannot authenticate to the domain controller, and the services go offline, they are unable to restart normally because the domain account cannot be found.

Resolution:
Resolve DNS issues and reestablish communications to the domain controller to authenticate the domain accounts used for services.

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH69109

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

It's most likely the disk space issue Will mentioned above, I think.  Check the space on the C: drive and if it's less than 1% of the disk, that's your problem.  The database will shut itself down and you'll see that 93 error.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I found a TN that may help.
Please have a look at http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH46255

The DLL mentioned in the TN is for NBU 6.0. The 6.5 DLL will probably be newer.

Have a look at the Overview section for problem description, then Resolution section (bearing in mind that the Adaptive Server Anywhere version and dll version will probably be newer - adjust steps accordingly):

Resolution:
The path to a critical DLL for allowing ODBC communication to the EMM database can not be found at the specified location. The DLL is called DBODBC9.DLL.  Check to see if the DLL exists in the correct location, \<InstallPath>\VERITAS\NetBackupDB\WIN32\DBODBC9.DLL

If the DLL is there, check the registry to make sure it is pointing to the correct working path for this DLL:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\VERITAS NB Adaptive Server Anywhere 9.0.1\ and verify the keys named Driver and Setup are pointing to the correct path.  If they are incorrect, change them to reflect the correct path to DBODBC9.DLL.

Once the path statements have been adjusted, stop and start the NetBackup services:

1.  Stop NetBackup services by running the following command:
<installPath>\veritas\netbackup\bin\bpdown 

2.  Verify all processes have been stopped by running the following command:
<installPath>\veritas\netbackup\bin\bpps
Note:  A reboot may be necessary to fully eliminate any lingering NetBackup processes that might not terminate when the services are stopped.

3.  Start the NetBackup services by running the following command:
<installPath>\veritas\netbackup\bin\bpup